OECD sees future of developing countries in open telecoms

  • To: s-asia-it at apnic dot net
  • Subject: OECD sees future of developing countries in open telecoms
  • From: "Irfan Khan" <KhanIA@super.net.pk>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:27:52 +0500
  • Sender: owner-s-asia-it@lists.apnic.net
    • 29th November 2000

      OECD sees future of developing countries in open telecoms

      Developing countries must free up telecommunications and encourage
      foreign investment if they want to catch up in the internet race,
      according to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and
      Development (OECD).

      The OECD is planning to drum its message home at a special conference
      in Dubai next year. In an exclusive interview, Risaburo Nezu,
      director of science, technology and industry, told silicon.com that
      business and government delegates from over 30 developing countries
      will be advised that handouts from rich nations will not solve the
      problem.

      Nezu said: "Our message will be that there is a need for an open,
      predictable and transparent telecommunications market and also a need
      to have open, free foreign investment regimes. If those two things
      are ensured, I think the business follows."

      The OECD aims to provide governments with a setting in which to
      discuss, develop economic and social policy. Over the last few years
      it has pushed hard to free up the telecoms sector in its members
      states, which include Australia, Japan, the US and most European
      countries.

      But despite the progress, Nezu admitted deregulation hasn't gone far
      enough. "There's still a long way to go - there's a lot more for
      governments, telecoms companies and internet service providers to do
      in order to diversify and improve their services."

      According to Nezu, the role of the government is to create an
      environment for businesses to use information technology with
      freedom. This involves open trade systems, clear and less burdensome
      tax regimes and competitive, open telecoms, he said.

      And despite the OECD's less-than-global membership, Nezu is convinced
      it can still play a significant role in ecommerce development.
      "Ninety nine per cent of ecommerce takes place in OECD countries," he
      claimed. "We've never felt we are constrained by having only 30
      member countries."

      http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001
      REQSUB=REQINT1=41195