Fwd: [India] Telecom sector poised for a leap

  • To: India Gii <india-gii at cpsr dot org>, s-asia-it at apnic dot net
  • Subject: Fwd: [India] Telecom sector poised for a leap
  • From: Arun Mehta <indata at satyam dot net dot in>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:51:32 +0530
  • Sender: owner-s-asia-it@lists.apnic.net
    • I'm not sure I agree with the Economic Times article -- we did get a few
      things wrong too -- the DOT shouldn't just have been corporatized, it
      should have been broken up, along the lines of what happened in the US many
      years ago, and in China more recently.

      The DOT and co. still make policy -- witness their recent announcement that
      Net telephony will remain banned another 2 years. Unless you take this sort
      of power away from government-owned operators, they will continue to skew
      the playing field in their favour, which keeps others out.

      The article talks about opening up long-distance telephony: but has any
      such licence been granted? Or even applied for?

      Arun
      >From: "Irfan Khan" <KhanIA@super.net.pk>
      >To: s-asia-it at apnic dot net
      >
      >Dec 20 2000
      >
      >Telecom sector poised for a leap
      >

      >NEW DELHI
      >
      >IT was late but the government was finally caught in a frenzy during
      >the year 2000 to reform the giant telecom sector in anticipation of
      >its becoming the country's growth engine for the new millennium for
      >which it took a slew of measures to open the area of hitherto state
      >monopoly.
      >
      >Opening up of the long distance telephony, lifting of any
      >restrictions on number of players in different telephony disciplines,
      >advancing of date for ending monopoly of overseas communication and
      >transforming gigantic telecom services department into a corporation
      >were among the highpoints of the government's single-minded reform
      >drive.
      >
      >But the year gone by was marked by tremendous opposition to
      >government moves from political parties, trade unions and government
      >employees as also the early private entrants in the sector who saw
      >the changes as signs of gloom.
      >
      >Consequently, the sector witnessed a nearly year-long situation of
      >industrial unrest and frequent strikes by one or the other PSUs or
      >government departments in the sector.
      >
      >Notwithstanding the pressures, the government corporatised the department
      >of telecom services into Bharat Sanchar Nigam and opened bandwidth for
      >overseas communication to private sector to send right signals the world ove
      >r that Iindia was the destination for the future.
      >
      >The government also made conscious efforts to project India's investment
      >potential in the fastest growing sector the world over in tandem with
      >conducive legislative and fiscal climate with Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpa
      >yee himself leading a virtual roadshow to America in the last quarter of
      >the year.
      >
      >To demonstrate the country's commitment to the new information order and
      >sincerity of reforms process, the government also broadly finalised a
      >draft for the legislative structure wherein different modes of communication w
      >ould be integrated for better effects and usefulness.
      >
      >However, the last minute glitches forced the government to abandon its
      >plans to introduce a bill in the winter session of Parliament on
      >convergence whereby it wanted to put in place a strong regulatory
      >mechanism for guidi
      >ng the innumerable players for a fair play.
      >
      >As is the adage that 'the fittest will survive in the free market,' the
      >government spurred the process of transforming its own enterprises to
      >prepare for challenge from domestic and global players who are high on technolo
      >gy and deep in pockets.
      >
      >Overcoming the dissent from within the ruling alliance and resistance
      >from opposition parties, the government made it clear that the
      >telecom sector in India could not be developed by protectionist
> [...]

      Arun Mehta, B-69, Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi -- 110024, India. Phone
      +91-11-6841172, 6849103.  http://members.tripod.com/india_gii To join
      india-gii, a list which discusses India's bumpy progress on the global
      infohighway, mail india-gii-subscribe at cpsr dot org