GNU/LinuxIndia * July 06, 2004

  • To: s-asia-it at apnic dot net
  • Subject: GNU/LinuxIndia * July 06, 2004
  • From: "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred at bytesforall dot org>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:59:13 +0530 (IST)
  • Cc:
    •      e88~~\  888b    | 888   |  /  888                888 ,e,
          d888     |Y88b   | 888   |  L  888 888-~88e  e88~\888  "    /~~~8e
          8888 __  | Y88b  | 888   |  I  888 888  888 d888  888 888       88b
          8888   | |  Y88b | 888   |  N  888 888  888 8888  888 888  e88~-888
          Y888   | |   Y88b| Y88   |  U  888 888  888 Y888  888 888 C888  888
           "88__/  |    Y888  "8__/   X  888 888  888  "88_/888 888  "88_-888
                    Compiled by: Frederick Noronha * July 06,  2004

      PlayFair defies Apple; Web site back up
      By John Ribeiro, IDG News Service

      May 11, 2004 8:20 am ET

      The PlayFair free software project is back online, with both the maintainer
      of the project and the hosting service willing to face a legal challenge
      from Apple Computer Inc.

      	Apple last month shut down the free software project, which enables
      	AAC (advanced audio coding) files downloaded from Apple iTunes to be
      	played on platforms that Apple does not support. It does that by
      	stripping the DRM (Digital Rights Management) mechanism from a song,
      	provided the key for playing the song is available.

      The project has been renamed Hymn, according to Anand Babu, the maintainer
      of the project. It is being hosted on two sites (http://playfair.org/ and
      http://hymn-project.org) by a U.S.-based hosting service provider. Babu said
      last month that the project would be hosted outside the U.S.

      	"This (hosting service) provider is well aware of the DMCA (Digital
      	Millennium Copyright Act) and DRM issues and is very much willing to
      	defend us in case Apple threatens to bring down the site," Babu said
      	in an e-mail Tuesday, announcing the return online of the PlayFair
      	project.

      Apple shut down the free software project after serving a legal notice,
      alleging infringement of copyright, to the sponsors of Sarovar, a free
      software development community site based in Thiruvanthapuram, India, that
      was hosting the PlayFair project.

      The project had earlier been brought down from SourceForge.net, an
      open-source software development Web site in the U.S. owned by Open Source
      Development Network Inc. (OSDN), after Apple invoked the DMCA.

      The new release of the software is pretty much a complete rewrite, according
      to a posting on the two sites.

      	No, I don't agree with the project being taken down.  Enough
      	arm-twisting by corporates who want to protect their "Intellectual
      	Property" by killing innovation and the individual hacker (not
      	cracker!).  If the project is taken down it will create a bad
      	precedent in India, which will eventually lead to DMCA, PATRIOT and
      	similar restrictions being placed on Indian developers without
      	anyone having raised his/her voice against it. Sarovar, CVR, etc,
      	please fight this case.  And to put my money where my mouth is, I'm
      	putting in Rs. 1000 to help you get a lawyer.  I'm also forwarding
      	this message to more lists and requesting people to come up and help
      	defray your legal costs. -- Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi dot org>

      	This case sets dangerous precedents, and if I am right is the first
      	use of litigation against a free software site in India.
      	Corporations are using litigation as a very effective weapon against
      	freedom...  -- Rajkumar S <s_raj at flashmail dot com>

      	We were previously known as PlayFair and now Hymn. playfair.org
      	points to our new domain hymn-project.org. -- Anand Babu, Free as in
      	Freedom <www.gnu.org>

      See the Indlinux Newsletter Issue 4 available at:
      http://indlinux.org/newsletter/4.html

      * URLs OF RELEVANCE AND INTEREST: Some links to work on the Kannada front,
      coming from a South Indian language with an estimated 32 million speakers.

      	http://kannada.sourceforge.net/ - Project Home page
      	http://sourceforge.net/projects/kannada - Sourceforge Project page

      	OpenOffice.org screenshots
      	http://kannada.sourceforge.net/openoffice.org/screenshots

      	Gnome screenshots
      	http://kannada.sourceforge.net/gnome-screens/screenshots.html

      	Mozilla rendering Kannada
      	http://kannada.sourceforge.net/mozilla-with-pango.png

      	XFCE in Kannada
      	http://kannada.sourceforge.net/xfce-panel-kannada.png

      	KDE with QT 3.2.0 http://kannada.sourceforge.net/kde-preview

      * GOOD NEWS FROM THE DEBIAN FRONT: Debian installer to support
      bi-directional scripts: It has been announced in Debian i18n list that the
      current version of the Debian installer supports bi-directional scripts like
      Farsi, Hebrew, and Arabic using libfribidi. This means that the support for
      Indic scripts is possible and somebody has to do the footwork.

      * EMAIL2MOBILE: Abhishek Jain says he has worked on a GNU/Linux project --
      email2mobile -- which allows any email coming to you wil be forwarded to
      your mobile. It also enables one to send free sms to all numbers in india
      including the BSNL and Reliance networks. See http://www.goyali.com Says
      Jain: "This project was completed entirely by me and on (the GNU/)Linux
      platform. If anyone of you have any queries get onto the chat or email me.
      My yahoo id is ejaincom". He adds that the project was completed using a
      paid SMS gateway and is on the lookout for a cheaper gateway.

      	* OPEN OFFICE IN SOUTH ASIA: Omi Azad from Bangladesh
      	<omi at altruists dot org> says that considerable work is going into Open
      	Office. Said he, in a recent Asian discussion: "We have done a lot
      	from India and Bangladesh. The Hindi version of OO is ready and you
      	can find it in http://hi.openoffice.org/ I'm working on the Bangla
      	project with my team and that will be available soon on
      	http://bn.openoffice.org/ "

      	He also points to another source for South Asian fonts:
      	http://guca.sourceforge.net/typography/fonts/saab/

      LINKS TO INDIA INITIATIVES: There was this discussion on the Bangalore LUG
      list, asking for listings of India-related initiatives. Offline, I wrote to
      Kenneth Gonsalves, and pointed out to one earlier initiative --
      http://linuxinindia.pitas.com  He comment: "Went through it -- needs to be
      organised." Sure does. Since I don't have the bandwidth to maintain this, is
      any volunteer willing to take-over and collaborate?

      * Check out the FSF-FRIENDS mailing list in India
      Fsf-friends at mm.gnu dot org dot in

      YOUR INPUTS and criticism to this newsletter are welcome.  Contact us at
      fred at bytesforall dot org COPYLEFT 2003. May be freely circulated provided
      entire text and credits are left intact.

      You can subscribe to receive this FREE newsletter (free beer, free speech!)
      by subscribing directly at
      http://www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=linuxinindia