NIR Meeting in the 17th APNIC OPM

  • To: <sig-nir at lists dot apnic dot net>
  • Subject: NIR Meeting in the 17th APNIC OPM
  • From: "Chia-Nan Hsieh \(chianan\)" <hsieh at twnic dot net dot tw>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:15:37 +0800
  • Cc: <sig at apnic dot net>, <gerard at apnic dot net>
  • Sender: sig-nir-admin@lists.apnic.net
      Thank you very much for coming to NIR SIG meeting last week in KL.
      We had a quite successful meeting with good attendance and active
      participation.

      Below is the detailed meeting minutes, thanks to Gerard again for providing
      such excellent service.
      For those who didn't attend the meeting, I would encourage you to read
      through it.
      If you need any amendments, please let us know.

      Chianan

      17th APNIC Open Policy Meeting
      Open NIR meeting
      Thursday 26 February 2003, Palace of the Golden Horses Hotel, Kuala Lumpur,
      Malaysia
      Minutes

      Meeting commenced: 4:00 pm
      Chair: Akinori Maemura
      Co-chair: Chia-Nan Hsieh

      The Co-chair introduced the meeting and reminded the participants of the SIG
      charter and the mailing list. He then explained the agenda.
      Presentations
      1.	JPNIC open policy meeting update
      Izumi Okutani, JPNIC
      The presentation reviewed the discussions and developments from the JPNIC
      Open Policy Meeting held on 5 December 2003. The presenter explained how
      developments are reported back and forth between APNIC and JPNIC Open Policy
      Meetings, and also explained how the JPNIC policy development process works.

      At the recent JPNIC OPM there were seven presentations, including one
      proposal. There were discussions on issues such as privacy of customer
      assignment records (which was slightly different to the original APNIC
      proposal), lowering the minium allocation size, and replacing admin-c with
      the LIR's contact.

      There was no clear consensus on the privacy issue, which will be referred to
      the mailing list.

      There was support for lowering the minimum allocation, but there were
      concerns that CIDR requirements should still be ensured. Therefore, the
      JPNIC community decided there needed to be more investigation of how to
      implement a lower minium allocation.

      There was originally consensus for adopting the APNIC proposal regarding
      replacing assignment admin-c with the LIRs contact; however, subsequent
      comments on the mailing list have resulted in discussion and work on this
      proposal. Implementation of this proposal has been suspended.

      There were also discussions on AD ratio, lame delegation checks, and
      definition of the consensus process.

      The presenter noted that the meeting was too short at  four hours. It was
      well attended and there was good participation.

      The presenter noted that there is a need for a better definition of
      consensus and firm timelines for discussion and implementation. There is
      also a need for better coordination with LIRs.

      JPNIC plans to hold a working group meeting in March.

      Questions and discussion
      -	There was a comment that the processes that are being developed in
      JPNIC's community are very useful. Creating opportunities for participants
      to speak out in a more comfortable forum will be of benefit to the community
      as a whole.
      -	It was noted that one of the alternative suggestions to lowering the
      minimum allocation size was to maintain the same allocation size but simply
      lower the criteria. It was suggested that this could lead to wasted address
      space. It was agreed to take this concern back to the JPNIC community.
      -	It was noted that unde the NIR agreements, NIRs adopt APNIC policies
      but retain the scope for local policies. It was suggested forming a working
      group to develop a better understanding of the scope of local policy making.
      -	It was clarified that in the JPNIC policy process, the Board is not
      directly involved in approving IP policy.
      -	It was noted that taking APNIC proposals to the JPNIC OPM generates
      more discussion than simply posting translated proposals to the mailing
      lists.
      2.	TWNIC open policy meeting update
      David Chen, TWNIC
      This presentation provided an overview of the first TWNIC Open Policy
      Meeting, which was held in December 2003. The meeting was held in
      conjunction with APNIC training. It was well attended. The presenter
      summarised the content of the meeting, which included keynote speeches, SIG
      meetings, and status reports.

      The presenter outlined the process for developing SIG proposals and briefly
      summarised the outcome of the various proposals. There are SIGs for Address
      policy, Routing, and Database.

      >From this meeting, two proposals arose that were referred to the APNIC OPM.
      The first was a proposal to modify the criteria for subsequent allocations
      to cable/DSL networks. The second related to whois DB query.

      In the future, TWNIC will allocate more time for the meeting. TWNIC will
      also plan to hold the meetings twice per year, before APNIC meetings. TWNIC
      will encourage more LIRs to attend and take steps to encourage more
      discussion on mailing lists.

      Questions and discussion
      -	There was a clarification of how policies are implemented.
      -	It was noted that discussion within the OPM was very strong - much
      better than on the mailing lists.
      -	It was noted that it was very good that policy proposals were being
      received from the TWNIC community. TWNIC provided encouragement to community
      members to make proposals. The SIG chairs and co-chairs were also active in
      encouraging participation.
      3.	JPNIC update
      Toshiyuki Hosaka, JPNIC
      This presentation summarised JPNIC's activities in 2003 and its activity
      plan for 2004. The presenter gave details of meeting and communication work,
      service improvements, and policy developments.

      JPNIC currently has two expert teams working on address policy - an IRR team
      and an IPv6 policy team.

      JPNIC will send another hostmaster to APNIC for 2 weeks in 2004.

      JPNIC recently held a discussion on Internet governance, in the context of
      the WSIS and ICANN developments.

      JPNIC will embark on a fee structure reform in 2004. The current system
      places too much dependency on registration fees. The restructure will
      abandon the registration fee, introduce a one-time per-address allocation
      fee, and review the level of the maintenance fee.

      JPNIC has been using its internal system for 10 years and believes it it
      time for radical renewal.

      Questions and discussion
      -	There was a question about whay JPNIC has not implemented the small
      multihoming policy. It was noted that some members of the JPNIC community
      have opposed this policy due to concerns about aggregation. There has also
      been very little demand from the Japanese market for this service.

      4.	VNNIC-NIR operations and present status
      Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, VNNIC
      This presentation provided an overview of VNNIC's operations and current
      status. The presenter noted that VNNIC currently has seven full members and
      8 association members. It was noted that many multihomed networks now need
      portable assignments.

      VNNIC has two hostmasters in Hanoi and one officer in Ho Chi Minh City.

      VNNIC will introduce a new fee structure in 2004. The new structure will
      introduce a tiered structured, including a startup fee and annual renewal
      fees.

      VNNIC set up VNIX in 2003 in Hanoi. The next phase of this development will
      extend VNIX to Ho Chi Minh City.

      VNIC is currently preparing a report on introducing IPv6 in Vietnam.

      VNNIC will hold its first Open Member Meeting in 2004.

      Questions and discussion
      -	None

      5.	Experience at APNIC training
      Dong-Wook Shim, KRNIC
      The presenter described his recent experience of training at APNIC in early
      2004. He described the details of the training program. He also discussed
      recommendations for NIRs making requests to APNIC which may help lead to
      more efficient resolution of tickets.

      The presenter noted that APNIC distributes its work load well and shows good
      cooperation and communication between the departments. He also noted that
      APNIC has a well organised hostmaster manual and internal web site.

      The presenter recommended scheduling the training periods carefully to avoid
      the busy season.

      Questions and discussion
      -	None

      6.	NIR System BOF report
      Shin Yamasaki, JPNIC
      This presentation summarised the discussions held during the NIR System BOF,
      including future solutions for automated DNS registration procedures and the
      NIR data exchange project. He noted that for the next meeting the agenda
      needs to be set further in advance.

      Questions and discussion
      -	None

      Meeting closed: 5:45 pm