Re: [sig-nir] Re: [sig-policy] Final call for comments: [prop-028-v001]

  • To: sig-nir at apnic dot net, sig-policy at apnic dot net
  • Subject: Re: [sig-nir] Re: [sig-policy] Final call for comments: [prop-028-v001] "AbolishingIPv6 per address fee for NIRs"
  • From: Save Vocea <save at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:15:59 +1000
  • Cc:
    • Dear all,

      Thank you for the many comments that have been received on the proposal to abolish the IPv6 per address fee for NIRs. This mail is simply intended to clarify some issues of the policy development process and how they may affect the progress of this discussion.

      By the terms of the APNIC Policy Development Process, each policy proposal must pass five steps. The proposal currently under discussion [prop-028-v001] has now passed the first two steps:

       1. Discussion before the Open Policy Meeting (OPM), and
       2. Consensus at the OPM

      It is now subject to the following three steps:

       3. Discussion after the OPM - this current 8 week comment period
       4. Confirming consensus - where the appropriate SIG Chair will need to
          determine whether the proposal has reached consensus, or whether

      substantial objections mean that consensus has not been confirmed, and
       5. Endorsement from the Executive Council

      In this process, the discussions on the mailing list are given the same degree of importance as the discussion in the physical meeting.

      In the final stage of the process, the EC may adopt a proposal for implementation or refer a proposal back to the SIG for further discussion. The EC may also decide to refer the proposal to a formal vote of adoption by the APNIC members.

      Finally, in the present discussion, there has been a suggestion of making changes to the policy development process. To be effective, these suggestions would need to be formally proposed and passed through the current process, as summarised above. The full details of the current Policy development Process are at:

        http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/policy-development.html

      More explanation of the process, including links to a policy proposal form are at:

       http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/dev

      regards,
      Save
      --
      Savenaca Vocea, Policy Development Manager,     <save at apnic dot net>
      Asia Pacific Network Information Centre