Re: [sig-policy] IPv6 Guidelines document

  • To: Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp>
  • Subject: Re: [sig-policy] IPv6 Guidelines document
  • From: Anne Lord <anne at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:29:15 +1000
  • Cc: sig-policy at lists dot apnic dot net

    • Hi Izumi,

      Many thanks for your mail.

      Your understanding as you describe it below is correct.

      Just as in IPv4, I think there is no strong desire to register hosts in IPv6. I think there may be people who register sub-networks (by which I mean /64's) for the reasons you state, though of course it is not compulsory. (We should also remember that all assignment information will be hidden by default in the APNIC database later this year). In terms of utilisation, it may be worth adding a note explaining that /64's if registered will be counted as a utilised /48.

      Best wishes,

      Anne