Re: [sig-policy] IPv6 Guidelines document

  • To: anne at apnic dot net
  • Subject: Re: [sig-policy] IPv6 Guidelines document
  • From: Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:26:55 +0900 (JST)
  • Cc: sig-policy at lists dot apnic dot net
      From: Anne Lord <anne at apnic dot net>
      Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:29:15 +1000

      > Hi Izumi,
      >
      > Many thanks for your mail.
      >
      > Your understanding as you describe it below is correct.
      >
      > Just as in IPv4, I think there is no strong desire to register hosts in
      > IPv6. I think there may be people who register sub-networks (by which I
      > mean /64's) for the reasons you state, though of course it is not
      > compulsory. (We should also remember that all assignment information will
      Yes, I understand. In that case, would it be insufficient to merely
      leave the statement below

             " * Assignments for networks of /48 or less may be registered,
                 at the discretion of the LIR and the networ administrator."

      and remove the following clause?

              " * Assignments to hosts may be registered, at the discretion
                 of the LIR and the end site."

      I felt that by specifically making the second statement while it is
      already covered by the first("/48 or less" can be assignments to hosts
      as well as /64s), it gives the impression that assignments to hosts
      are encouraged.

      > be hidden by default in the APNIC database later this year). In terms of
      > utilisation, it may be worth adding a note explaining that /64's if
      > registered will be counted as a utilised /48.
      Good idea.

      Thanks once again for compiling the document.

      Best Regards,
      Izumi