Re: [sig-policy] Requests from routing/packeting concerns

  • To: Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp>
  • Subject: Re: [sig-policy] Requests from routing/packeting concerns
  • From: Seiichi Kawamura <kawamucho at mesh dot ad dot jp>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:53:23 +0900
  • Cc: sig-policy at apnic dot net

      hi izumi

      > Another point that was mentioned that an operator wish to be aware of
      > the risks of "contaminated" space (black listed, etc) when obtaining
      > space and seeing past records help sometimes. you ofcourse have to do
      > more checks in addition.

      correct me if i'm wrong. my image of this problem.

      the following takes place inside one single ISP.
      A naughty customer-A will return the address after they have done
      all the bad stuff that needs to be done, and say the address was
      given to some good-behaving customer-B that were not effected by
      black lists (e.g the address was used for VPN puroposes).
      when cusotmer-C receives the address and gets blocked by blacklists,
      the ISP has ways to investigate to check if it was cutomer-B
      or customer-A that was doing the naughty behavior, such as
      checking customer profiles, logs, etc.

      now lets say if A was an ISP, B was one single corporate IT division,
      C was a small data-center. If C didn't know that the prefix was owned
      by A in the past, they may go and lawsuit B.

      seiichi