Re: [sig-policy] Timeline for implementing the transfer proposal
- To: Policy SIG <sig-policy at apnic dot net>
- Subject: Re: [sig-policy] Timeline for implementing the transfer proposal
- From: James Spenceley <james at iroute dot org>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:32:35 +1100
- Cc: Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp>
- Delivered-to: sig-policy at mailman dot apnic dot net
- In-reply-to: <D3E3DE53-8426-4CFC-BF80-16E9AE8FC13B@apnic.net>
- List-archive: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/sig-policy>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: APNIC SIG on resource management policy <sig-policy.lists.apnic.net>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/sig-policy>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/sig-policy>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <49954E5C.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <499A903C.email@example.com> <499A956C.firstname.lastname@example.org> <499A97D1.email@example.com> <E7BE7213-857A-408F-AB1F-BFD72C83B6A6@apnic.net> <499AA21C.firstname.lastname@example.org> <D3E3DE53-8426-4CFC-BF80-16E9AE8FC13B@apnic.net>
Hello Sig-policy,I still maintain it is too early to implement address transfers and that doing so earlier than absolutely necessary is irresponsible.
While organizations can still obtain address resources via the current well established process, we shouldn't create demand and support for transfers which could have significant effects to the general community.
That said, I agree it is important that a transfer policy is adopted so that the procedures can established.
However I'd be interested to see if people support only activating the policy when we are closer to exhaustion of the IANA free pool (for example at the same time as the final /8 is activate)
This allows all the process and procedures to be prepared while we wait for the policy to be activated when it is without question required.
Interested in people's opinions ? -- James On 18/02/2009, at 6:37 AM, Geoff Huston wrote:
On 17/02/2009, at 10:40 PM, Izumi Okutani wrote:Hi Geoff, I'd like to ask for all three of them related to the transfer. prop-050, prop-067 and prop-068 Hope you can answer for the two of them that you admit :-)Hi Izumi, Both prop 50 and prop 68 were drafted so as to be implementable immediately. Given that they require the establishment of new procedures and potentially some new registries to support the transfer log, I suspect that "immediately" would imply some number of months to implement. regards, Geoff* sig-policy: APNIC SIG on resource management policy *_______________________________________________ sig-policy mailing list sig-policy at lists dot apnic dot net http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/sig-policy