APNIC home

APNIC 13 SIGs
APNIC 13 Programme
APNIC 13 AMM
APNIC 13 EC election
APNIC 13 HM consultation
APNIC 13 Sponsorship
APNIC 13 Archive
APNIC 13 Meeting Home

APRICOT 2002APNIC 13 home


13th APNIC Open Policy Meeting

SIG: Reverse DNS

Tuesday 5 March, Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, Bangkok

Minutes

Meeting commenced: 11:10

Chair: Paul Gampe

The Chair introduced the SIG and explained the agenda.

Contents
  1. ARIN legacy in-addr transition status report
  2. BIND update
  3. Reverse domain and Vietnam solution to deploy multilingual domain names
  4. Status report on the ip6.arpa process
  5. DNSsec and in-addr

Presentations

  1. ARIN legacy in-addr transition status report
  2. Ray Plzak, ARIN

    This presenter reported that the status of the legacy transfer is unchanged since the last report at APNIC 12. He noted that ARIN has completed all preparations necessary for the transfer and is now waiting for APNIC and RIPE NCC to finalise their preparations.

    Questions and discussion

    No further discussions.

    Top

  3. BIND update
  4. Mathias Koerber, Nominum

    This presentation provided an overview of the current version of BIND (8.3.1), including bug fixes, performance improvements, and future plans.

    Questions and discussion

    No further discussions.

    Top

  5. Reverse domain and Vietnam solution to deploy multilingual domain names
  6. [Presentation]

    Viet Ahn, VNNIC

    This presentation described the progress of work in Vietnam relating to the reverse DNS issues involved in the deployment of multilingual domain names.

    Questions and discussion

    There was a suggestion relating to the possibility of registering name server attributes in the APNIC database.

    It was suggested that a working group be formed to prepare a recommendation on deploying i18n DNS.

    It was noted that there needed to be clear demarcation for APNIC nameserver involvement. It was also noted that operational standards for coding are needed.

    There was a suggestion that the format for nameserver registration should include an attribute in the domain object.

    It was noted that the i18n DNS working group was close to being ratified as a standard.

    Top

  7. Status report on the ip6.arpa process
  8. [Presentation 1 | Presentation 2]

    George Michaelson, APNIC

    This presentation provided an outline of IPv6 reverse delegation services at APNIC.

    Questions and discussion

    There was a request for a clear policy statement from APNIC regarding whether ip6.arpa is now available, and whether ip6.arpa is preferred over ip6.int.

    It was suggested that such a statement should be released in two stages, first to APNIC and NIR members, then a full release to the general public. This approach was requested to allow members time to prepare information for ISPs and their customers.

    It was also suggested that a policy statement from the RIR would help with encouraging vendors to modify software.

    It was noted that although this action was not urgently needed, it was preferable that it be done before the next APNIC meeting.

    Top

  9. DNSsec and in-addr
  10. [Presentation]

    Olaf Kolkman, RIPE NCC

    This presentation provided a overview of using DNSsec for in-addr. The presentation reviewed the scaling problems involved in implementing the model described in RFC 2535 and discussed proposed methods for overcoming those problems.

    Questions and discussion

    There was a discussion about the interaction of PGP keys with the whois database and the potential problems that could arise from the processes required to provide the appropriate levels of support for DNSsec.

The Chair asked for a volunteer to present the report from this SIG to the AMM. George Michaelson accepted the task.

Meeting closed: 15:30

Minuted by: Gerard Ross/Robert Winkler

Top | Minutes


Last modified: Monday, 19-Jul-2004 10:37:06 EST | © 1999 - 2022 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement