APNIC Home
APNIC Home
 

APNIC Member Meeting

Friday 6 September, Kitakyushu International Conference Centre

Minutes

Meeting commenced: 9:10 am

Chair: Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson welcomed the participants and thanked the following sponsors:

  • France Telecom (Gold sponsor)
  • KRNIC (Silver sponsor)

He then explained the agenda and encouraged all present to participate in the discussions.

Contents
  1. APNIC status report
  2. Executive Council report
  3. Member Services update
  4. APNIC training update
  5. ARIN status report
  6. LACNIC status report
  7. AfriNIC status report
  8. RIPE NCC status report
  9. ASO meeting update
  10. Address Council report
  11. Routing SIG report
  12. IX SIG report
  13. Reverse DNS SIG report
  14. Distributed DNS BOF report
  15. IRR BOF report
  16. Database SIG report
  17. NIR meeting report
  18. IPv6 Technical SIG report
  19. Address policy SIG report
  20. Network abuse BOF report
  21. MyAPNIC demonstration
  22. Open microphone session
  23. Next meetings

    Status reports

  1. APNIC status report
  2. [Presentation]

    Paul Wilson, APNIC

    This presentation reviewed the status of APNIC's membership growth, resource status, and financial position for 2002. The presenter noted that membership growth for 2002 is lower than in recent years but appears to be increasing again. He noted that there have been many membership closures in the early part of 2002, primarily due to mergers and acquisitions and business closures.

    APNIC's IPv4 resource status reflects a continuing strong demand for IPv4 addresses. In particular, APNIC has surpassed both ARIN and RIPE NCC consumption rates for IPv4 addresses during 2002.

    IPv6 demand appears to be accelerating. The new IPv6 policy document has helped to encourage growth in demand with clearer, simpler eligibility criteria. Japan continues to show the highest demand for IPv6 addresses in this region.

    APNIC's ASN allocation rate remains lower than in other regions; however demand continues to increase.

    The overall trend in whois and http queries continues to grow strongly.

    In other developments, the EC response to the membership and stakeholder survey was published in early 2002. In terms of services and service quality, there have been many developments, including changes in Member Services delivery, MyAPNIC development (including the Allocation Manager), the launch of Whois v3, continued publication of Apster, and work on internal procedures and workflows which may form part of a future quality system for APNIC.

    The presenter highlighted future services under development, including the IRR, joint RIR activity on Whois development, significant increases in training programmes and delivery, and online support materials.

    APNIC meetings have been undergoing development, including the translation trial conducted at this meeting (courtesy of JPNIC) and methods of improving meeting structures and involvement.

    There have been significant developments in the NIR system during this year, with the development of draft policies and criteria and the possible reopening of the NIR category for new national organisations to form.

    In terms of training and outreach, staff increases have helped to rapidly accelerate the training program. APNIC has also appointed a Sub-Regional Policy Liaison Officer to work with the Pacific Island communities. APNIC has also been seeking grant monies to extend training activities.

    The presenter also described the ICT Research and Development grant program that APNIC is participating in.

    The presenter noted the documentation of dispute resolution procedures and statistical reporting improvements. He also briefly outlined the range of policy developments implemented over the past year.

    There was a review of the staffing level at the APNIC Secretariat. It was explained that the rate of growth has slowed, as APNIC has now achieved a suitable staffing level for both operational requirements, and current developmental activities.

    There was a review of the financial activities. APNIC is currently running very close to budget in terms of both expenses and revenue. This leaves a surplus for the year that is slightly below budget but still within the levels set by the EC and approved at the previous AMM.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  3. Executive Council report
  4. Che-Hoo Cheng, Executive Council Chair

    This presenter introduced the current members of the EC and reviewed EC activities for 2002. He noted that the next EC election will be held in Taipei during APNIC 15. He also described the oversight responsibilities of the EC.

    In 2002, the EC has held three face to face meetings as well as their normal monthly teleconferences.

    The EC believes stability and security is essential for APNIC, so they have adopted a conservative budget for 2002. The EC reviews the progress of the budget by way of financial statements at each EC meeting.

    The EC has worked closely with the boards of other RIRs on the negotiations relating to the ICANN contract and input into the ICANN reform process. This week, the EC made a statement conveying its disappointment with the recent ICANN Evolution and Reform Committee interim report. The EC will continue working with the other RIR boards to develop a full response to that report.

    The EC has sought membership input on improving the AC election process. It has also taken steps to improve the level of contact between the EC and the AC.

    NIR status is currently under consideration by the EC. The outcomes of the process are due to be reviewed by the membership in this AMM.

    In terms of policy process, the EC has suggested clarifying the roles of SIG Chairs and the reporting of consensus outcomes.

    It was noted that the EC has received input suggesting that APNIC should do something about spam. The EC reported that effective anti-spam measures will require a concerted effort of technical and regulatory bodies. They determined that APNIC's role in spam issues should remain consistent with its core responsibilities.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  5. Member Services update
  6. [Presentation]

    Son Tran, APNIC

    This presenter described recent developments in APNIC Member Services department.

    In 2002, the Member Services Helpdesk was launched to provide a consistent point of contact and to provide extended service hours. He noted that the Helpdesk phone number has been approved as possessing good Feng Shui. The APNIC Helpdesk also offers multilingual service in many languages of the region.

    He noted that the level of demand on the Helpdesk started relatively slowly, but that services changes, such as new reverse DNS services and the Whois upgrade, have increased the number of calls and emails.

    The presenter stressed that allocations and assignments will not be made through the Helpdesk, so resource requests must still be sent to the hostmaster mailbox.

    The presenter described the plans to begin implementing personalised account management procedures. Account management will be assigned according to languages and hostmaster experience.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  7. APNIC training update
  8. Champika Wijayatunga, APNIC

    This presentation provided an overview of training developments that have been implemented in response to members' feedback.

    The training staff has been expanded in 2002, with a new trainer and training development consultant. In addition, the involvement of hostmaster staff has been increased to help support the language needs at specific training courses.

    APNIC has scheduled 20 training courses for 2002 and has increased the number of visits to developing countries. So far in 2002, more than 700 people have participated in APNIC training courses.

    New training modules have been introduced into the training courses, including Whois v3/RPSL and spam-related topics. Existing training modules are also undergoing restructuring and development.

    To support training services, APNIC has developed an internal training management system as well as a registration system supporting online payments.

    In 2002, the APNIC training department has worked closely with other organisations for additional outreach activities.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    The Chair called for any questions or discussion from the floor on any issue.

    • There was a question as to why APNIC had recently received the 220 prefix, rather than a prefix from Class A space. It was suggested that it was probably intended to provide addresses contiguous with APNIC current holdings.
    • There was a question regarding the steps taken by APNIC when members close. APNIC's resource recovery procedures were briefly explained. It was noted that when possible, APNIC seeks to contact the holder of the address space and require return of the resources. It was suggested that APNIC could appoint contact persons in each country to assist in these recovery efforts.
    • It was explained that there is a flat file produced by APNIC summarising all allocations and assignments registered in the APNIC database.

    [Break 10:30 - 11:05 am]

    Top

    RIR reports

  9. ARIN status report
  10. [Presentation]

    Ray Plzak, ARIN

    This presentation provided an overview of the current resource and membership status in ARIN. The presenter summarised the background, structure, and functions of ARIN and discussed recent and upcoming meetings.

    The presenter discussed staffing levels at APNIC and noted that two ARIN staff members had spent time working at APNIC as part of the RIR exchange program.

    It was noted that ARIN has temporarily waived fees in relation to IPv6 and network transfers. The IPv6 fee structure is currently under review.

    ARIN has been busy in 2002 preparing for and commencing early registration transfers. ARIN has also completed a major database conversion, which provides new tools and improved services. The new ARIN whois database was released on 26 August.

    ARIN has been providing a considerable amount of support for LACNIC operations. It has also participated in AfriNIC meetings and activities in 2002.

    ARIN has now commenced "on-the-road" training services.

    Response time in ARIN registration services is consistently low and service demand continues to rise.

    In terms of policy proposals, the IPv6 micro-assignments proposal has been implemented. The new IPv6 policy has been implemented. The policy regarding lame delegations has been deferred for further discussion.

    The presenter previewed the next ARIN meeting, which is being held for the first time in conjunction with NANOG.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that the ICANN meeting in Shanghai, which has been rescheduled to October, now clashes with the ARIN X meeting in Eugene, USA.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  11. LACNIC status report
  12. [Presentation]

    Ray Plzak, ARIN

    This presentation was made on behalf of LACNIC. The presenter reviewed the history of the development of LACNIC and noted that LACNIC is expected to obtain full RIR recognition at the upcoming ICANN meeting in Shanghai.

    LACNIC is planning election procedures for new AC representatives.

    The presenter reviewed the transitional procedures that have been adopted to move resource request, registration, and financial accounting services from ARIN to LACNIC.

    The presenter summarised the allocation statistics for LACNIC since November 2001. He also described the range of documentation that has been prepared for LACNIC with ARIN's support.

    LACNIC is currently gathering letters of support for its final application for recognition.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  13. AfriNIC status report
  14. [Presentation]

    Ray Plzak, ARIN

    This presentation was made on behalf of AfriNIC. The presenter reviewed the history of the development of AfriNIC and the support provided by other RIRs.

    It is expected that AfriNIC will submit its application for recognition to ICANN in November 2002.

    Hostmaster training for AfriNIC is scheduled to commence soon, provided by RIPE NCC. Work is continuing to finalise a venue for the AfriNIC Secretariat.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  15. RIPE NCC status report
  16. [Presentation]

    Leo Vegoda, RIPE NCC

    This presentation provided an overview of the current resource and membership status in RIPE NCC.

    The presenter noted that membership growth has also slowed in the RIPE region, and that in fact RIPE NCC closed 200 members for non-payment in August 2002.

    IPv6 has been a major activity in RIPE NCC in 2002, with a similar demand on services as that observed in the Asia Pacific region.

    RIPE NCC will launch a beta version of a secure web portal at the next RIPE meeting in Rhodes. This service is intended to provide more administrative and management services to members.

    All outgoing hostmaster mail from RIPE NCC is now PGP signed, although further work is required on key exchange.

    The membership procedure has now been streamlined at RIPE NCC.

    The presenter reviewed the work that has been done with ARIN and APNIC in relation to the early registration transfers.

    RIPE NCC is participating in the enum activities, primarily in relation to setting up reverse DNS.

    RIPE NCC has been undergoing a comprehensive documentation review and has recently released a series of improved policy documents. They have also now released a new Whois database user manual.

    RIPE NCC training courses continue to increase in number. They expect to train approximately 1,800 people in 2002, and have planned 75-85 courses for 2003. Training content has also been expanded, with the inclusion of DNS Sec and routing registry materials.

    Security mechanisms in the database have been improved, with the introduction of MD5-PW authentication and the discontinued support for MAIL-FROM. An IRT (incident response team) object has also been implemented in the new database software.

    The RIPE NCC Routing Registry is now fully functional and RIPE NCC has taken over development of the MERIT IRRToolSet.

    There are plans to improve other database services, including updated tools, better error reporting, and improvements to performance and configuration management. RIPE NCC also plans to support authorisation checks across RIR databases, introduce IPv6 multicast support, and perform automatic database clean-up.

    The presenter reviewed the status of the Routing Information Service, DNS Sec, and communications activities (including a planned member survey).

    Questions and discussion

    • The Director general noted the assistance of RIPE NCC during the year in relation to the database upgrade and the visit to APNIC by Andrei Robachevsky.
    • It was noted that there has been some discussion in the RIPE community of researching new criteria for IPv6 allocation. It was explained that some of this discussion had looked at whether education and research institutions would qualify; however, this issue has been clarified on closer inspection of the current criteria.
    • There was also a discussion of DNS changes. The presenter noted that he did not have the relevant information to hand, but that the issue would be presented in the upcoming RIPE meeting.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  17. ASO meeting update
  18. Kuo Wei Wu, APNIC EC

    This presenter reported that Takashi Arano has been re-elected to the Address Council.

    He also reported that consensus has been reached on the updated election procedure model. Full details of the procedure still need to be documented, but will be published as soon as possible.

    Questions and discussion

    • Congratulations were expressed for Arano-san.
    • It was noted that previous attendance at APNIC meetings will be a requirement for voting in future APNIC meetings.

    Action items

    • Action amm-14-001: ASO and APNIC Secretariat to document and publish the new AC election procedure.

    Top

  19. Address Council report
  20. Kenny Huang, Address Council

    This presentation reported on Address Council activities in 2002, including the recent AC election, the observed progress of the emerging registries, and endorsement of the joint RIR statement to ICANN.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a discussion about the statistical reports available from the RIRs. It was noted that IPv6 allocation statistics are not currently appearing in the APNIC statistics. It was also noted that RIPE NCC updates the reports daily, but APNIC updates weekly. It was stated that APNIC will investigate this issue as soon as possible.

    Action items

    • Action amm-14-002: APNIC to include IPv6 details in resource summary reports and update reports daily.

    Top

    SIG Reports

  21. Routing SIG report
  22. [Presentation]

    Philip Smith, Cisco

    The presenter reviewed the content of presentations in discussions in this SIG, including updates to the CIDR report and a report on IP anycast for distributed DNS services.

    It was noted that the SIG was well attended.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  23. IX SIG report
  24. [Presentation]

    Philip Smith, Cisco

    The presenter reported that there had been 12 presentations on IXPs around the region. The session was very well attended. The presenter noted that this SIG may need more time at future meetings.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair noted that the active Chairing from Philip Smith had contributed to a very productive and popular SIG.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  25. Reverse DNS SIG report
  26. [Presentation]

    George Michaelson, APNIC (on behalf of David Conrad)

    The presenter noted that the SIG had been attended by approximately 15 people and had positive discussions. In particular, he noted the SIG had reached consensus for the Secretariat to continue its work into studying and rectifying name server lameness. As part of this activity, the Secretariat will begin contacting people responsible for persistently lame name servers.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  27. Distributed DNS BOF report
  28. [Presentation]

    George Michaelson, APNIC

    The presenter noted that the SIG had been attended by approximately 15 people. He noted that there had been discussion of sensible deployment strategies for distributed DNS and that the BOF had been of the opinion that APNIC, as a neutral body, can facilitate infrastructure improvements in the region. The BOF had also encouraged the expansion of APNIC's DNS secondary role to reduce the lame name server problem.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.
    Action items
    • None

    Top

  29. IRR BOF report
  30. [Presentation]

    George Michaelson, APNIC

    The presenter noted that there had been more than 25 attendees at this BOF, which had presentations relating to the JPNIC IRR and route flap damping. There was also a discussion, about the registration of import and export routing information in aut-num objects, which will be referred to the mailing list for further input.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Top

  31. Database SIG report
  32. [Presentation]

    Xing Li, CERNET Center

    The presenter reviewed the content of the SIG. He noted there had been both policy-related and technical presentations.

    In particular he noted SIG consensus on suspending MAIL-FROM authentication in maintainer objects.

    There is to be discussion on the mailing list about protecting unmaintained objects. There will also be further discussion of the use of import/export fields in the public database.

    It was noted that AP-CERT is seeking cooperation from APNIC and other registries.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that the policy proposal which received consensus in the SIG now required consideration from the AMM. The consensus item is that the MAIL-FROM authentication method should be disabled in the Whois database. The Chair called for consensus on ratifying the decision from the SIG.
    • There was a show of hands in favour of adopting this proposal and no objections (17-0).
    • The Chair observed consensus on adopting the proposal to cease support for MAIL-FROM authentication.

    Action items

    • Action amm-14-003: Secretariat to implement the proposal to cease support for MAIL-FROM authentication.

    [Break 12:35 - 2:10 pm]

    Top

  33. NIR meeting report
  34. [Presentation]

    Maemura Akinori, JPNIC IP Department

    The presenter described the background and intentions of the NIR meeting. He also summarised the content and discussions of the NIR meeting, which was attended by more than 50 people.

    The content included systems development updates from APNIC and KRNIC regarding resource management and administrative systems, and a report noting organisational change in Indonesia, with APJII and IDNIC announcing their consolidation.

    The session also included reports regarding proposed documents describing NIR recognition criteria and operational policies. The presenter described the principles proposed in this documents and noted the discussions that have already taken place on this topic.

    The presenter reported that there was consensus in favour of adopting both the NIR criteria proposal and the operational policies (subject to further development of the reverse DNS issues).

    Finally, the presenter noted the presentation made by VNNIC regarding their proposal that the NIR category be reopened and that their application for NIR status be considered.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair opened discussion on the two consensus items from the SIG, relating to the adoption of the NIR criteria and operational policy documents. The EC have requested that these matters should be considered at the AMM.
    • There were no further questions or comments on these proposals.

    NIR Criteria proposal

    • There was a show of hands in favour of the proposal to adopt the NIR criteria document and begin accepting NIR applications. There were no objections (42-0).
    • The Chair observed consensus on adopting the NIR criteria document and accepting NIR applications.

    NIR operational policy proposal

    • There was a show of hands in favour of the proposal to adopt the NIR operational policy document (subject to further development of the in.addr.arpa considerations) and begin accepting NIR applications. There were no objections (42-0).
    • The Chair observed consensus on adopting the NIR operational policy document (subject to further development of the in.addr.arpa considerations)

    Action items

    • Action sig-14-004: Secretariat to implement the NIR criteria and operational policies documents (subject to further development of the in.addr.arpa considerations).

    Top

  35. IPv6 Technical SIG report
  36. [Presentation]

    Kosuke Ito, IPv6 Promotion Council of Japan (on behalf of Jun Murai)

    This presenter reviewed the content of the SIG and summarised the presentations, including the APNIC status report, an IPv6 deployment report, mobile IPv6, and additional information on the Internet ITS trial.

    It was noted that approximately 40 people had attended.

    The presenter also noted that the Chair indicated he would not be available for the next meeting, and called for a replacement Chair. He nominated Kazu Yamamoto, who was appointed as Chair for the next meeting.

    Questions and discussion

    • No further discussions.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  37. Address policy SIG report
  38. [Presentation]

    Takashi Arano, Intec Netcore

    This presenter reviewed the content of the SIG. He noted that it had been a long but productive meeting. Several proposals were made, which all achieved consensus.

    Consensus was reached on the proposal to make assignments to a defined set of critical infrastructures.

    Consensus was reached on the revised ASN policy, which allows LIRs to make non-portable assignments to customers.

    Consensus was reached on the proposal to allow temporary allocations for experimental purposes.

    Consensus was reached on the principle of specifying a fixed IPv6 block to be used for documentation examples. APNIC will discuss this proposal with other RIRs.

    Consensus was reached on the proposal to allow LIRs to make allocations to their customers. The SIG also called for an action by the Secretariat to provide documentation to assist LIRs in determining allocation sizes. The presenter detailed the elements of this proposal, in particular, the provision that downstream allocations will be non-portable only.

    The presenter also outlined the other information topics which were presented at the SIG, including 6bone migration, the large scale IPv4 usage project, and the deployment status of wireless LAN services.

    There was also a call for a co-Chair made in the SIG, but there was no response. The SIG Chair will refer this matter to the mailing list.

    The presenter also described the use of a "rapporteur" in the SIG and noted that this had been of great assistance to him. He requested that in future, it would work better if there were two projectors.

    He also described the use of simultaneous translation in the SIG and noted that it had been very useful. He recommended that JPNIC should provide feedback to APNIC on how the system had been arranged and what would be required to expand that service to provide multilingual meetings in future.

    The presenter noted it had been a very successful SIG and that he was pleased with the results.

    Questions and discussion

    • The critical infrastructure proposal was discussed. The Chair called for discussion to be on the proposal as a whole, rather than on the specific elements. He noted that the AMM is able to consider minor amendments, but that major amendments would require that the matter would be referred back to the SIG.
    • It was stated that the list of proposed criteria may need to be reconsidered. In particular, it was noted that the IANA takes space from a multihomed upstream provider and therefore would not require this policy.
    • It was argued that a definition of critical infrastructure should consider the requirement for address invariance, rather than a simple need to multihome. It was suggested the issue of "technical requirement" for an infrastructure assignment has not been addressed and that therefore the list is too broad.
    • It was suggested that if the policy proposed assignments for Root DNS, with other infrastructures to be considered later, then the implementation would be acceptable. Otherwise, it was argued, the policy should not be implemented.
    • The Chair asked for comments on other issues.
    • There was a comment that the IPv6 assignment size recommended is too big. It was argued that this assignment size is based on arbitrary registry considerations rather than actual routing experience.
    • There was a proposal to consider removing IXPs from the list of critical infrastructures in this proposal in order to remove confusion with the existing IX policy.
    • The SIG Chair expressed the view that it is inappropriate to raise these issues in the AMM after consensus had already been achieved after proper discussion in the SIG. He noted that more technical discussion would have been good, but that the SIG is the proper forum for that.
    • It was argued that to create the critical infrastructure list now and then leave technical considerations until later, would be to open the door to many other types of organisations, such as content providers, to ask to be included on the list.
    • It was noted that the proposed list is the same as the one used by ARIN and that there was a desire to make a consistent policy.
    • The Chair noted the SIG Chair's concern regarding amendments from the AMM. However, he noted that there has been a precedent of small amendments being made by the AMM, with large amendments requiring referral back to the SIG.
    • The Chair presented the following three requested amendments:
      • Remove IXP from the definition of Critical Infrastructure
      • Remove all except Root servers from the definition of Critical Infrastructure
      • Change IPv6 Critical Infrastructure assignment size to /48
    • He called for comments on the specific amendments, to be followed by voting on the amendments, to be followed by voting on an overall proposal (unless strong objection, requiring referral back to the SIG).
    • There was a request for clarification of the process. It was suggested that it is inappropriate to say that a decision made in the SIG should be considered unchallengeable by the AMM.
    • The Chair reiterated that the current process is that the SIG considers issues then makes recommendations. Currently, the AMM can consider those recommendations and either accept the recommendation, make minor amendments, or require the issue to be returned to the SIG.
    • There was clarification of the suggestion to change the IPv6 assignment size. It was noted that although some ISPs may wish to filter on /32s, in order to multihome, networks need to subdivide their allocations. It was suggested that the assignment size should be made a /48 for now, with an intention to reconsider the assignment size on the mailing list.
    • The Chair noted that the definition of critical infrastructure could be expected to be subject to review in the future. However, future changes would be unlikely to affect previous assignments. Therefore, he suggested, it is better to have some definition now, rather than revisit the entire policy again.
    • There was a question regarding the documentation of the proposals. It was noted that the original proposals have been available on the website for some time, but the presentation made in this meeting is not yet available.
    • The Chair requested that the three requested amendments be voted on separately, resulting in a final proposal to then be voted on.
    • It was noted that if the policy was adopted with the reduced criteria in the second amendment, then it could be expected that immediate review would commence on expanding the list.
    • A fourth amendment was proposed, as detailed below. There was a show of hands on each of the following amendments:
      • 1 Remove IXP from definition of Critical Infrastructure
        There was a show of hands in support of this amendment. There were no objections.
      • 2 Remove all except Root from definition of Critical Infrastructure
        There was some support of this amendment; however there was considerably more support for retaining the wider list.
      • 3 Change IPv6 Critical Infrastructure assignment size to /48
        There was an initial show of hands, but consensus could not be reached on this issue. It was suggested that since there had been no consensus on this amendment, then the proposal should stand without the amendment. It was decided to adjourn for a break to consider this issue further.
      • [Break 3:35 - 4:05 pm]

      • 4A All Critical Infrastructure receives a /32
      • 4B Roots receive /32; the rest receive a /48
      • There was a show of hands, with consensus in favour of 4A.
    • The Chair noted that there was now a final proposal to consider, namely:
      • Critical infrastructure is defined as Root, gTLD, and ccTLD nameservers; and IANA, RIR, and NIR infrastructures. Assignments will be made to critical infrastructure. Assignment sizes will be /24 minimum in IPv4 and /32 in IPv6.
    • There was a show of hands in favour of accepting the proposal as amended (24-2).
    • AS number policy proposal

      • The next consensus item to be considered was that the AS policy should be released for a final call for comments.
      • There was a show of hands in favour of accepting the SIG recommendation.

      Experimental Internet resource assignments

      • There was a show of hands in favour of accepting the SIG recommendation.

      Internet resources for documentation purposes

      • The SIG recommendation was that this proposal was a good idea, but some details remain to be defined.
      • There was a show of hands in favour of accepting the SIG recommendation, with only one vote against.

      IPv4 allocations by LIRs to ISPs

      • The SIG recommend to accept this policy, but requested that the Secretariat should produce additional supporting documentation for LIRs to assist in evaluating allocation size.
      • There was a show of hands in favour of accepting the SIG recommendation.

      Action items

      • Action sig-14-005: Secretariat to provide two projectors for future Address policy SIGs and AMMs.
      • Action sig-14-006: Secretariat to implement the consensus items from the Address policy SIG, subject to any amendments described above.

      Top

    • Network abuse BOF report
    • [Presentation]

      Gerard Ross, APNIC

      The presenter noted that the attendance at this session had been much lower than when it was previously held, and suggested that timetabling might have to reconsidered at future meetings. He summarised the content of the BOF, which included reports on anti-spam activities in Korea and Taiwan and discussion of the procedures followed by the Secretariat in dealing with abuse complaints.

      Questions and discussion

      • No further discussions.

      Action items

      • None

      Top

    • MyAPNIC demonstration
    • [Presentation]

      Sanjaya, APNIC

      This presenter described the intention, development history, architecture, and features of MyAPNIC. He noted that the final release had been waiting on the deployment of the Whois v3 software. He then announced the official public launch of MyAPNIC v1.0.

      The presenter noted that the first release of this software supports read-only functions. Editing functions will be added only after operational use has confirmed the security of the system.

      The MyAPNIC system relies on certificates to provide secure access to members' resource and administration management tools.

      The presenter also outlined the features planned for the first major MyAPNIC update, scheduled for December 2002.

      Questions and discussion

      • The Chair expressed pride in the delivery of MyAPNIC as a very important development for members. He also noted that this represents the ongoing progress that APNIC is making in terms of software development and engineering.

      Action items

      • None

      Top

    • Open microphone session
      • There was a question regarding what checks and balances are in place to ensure that policies that are adopted are not technically challenging to the Internet. It was argued that one of the proposals adopted at this meeting has the potential to be technically damaging.
      • It was noted that development of the policy process has been ongoing and that there is a need to balance the need for rapid and responsive decisions, with the need to make the best possible decisions.
      • It was also noted that the forum for making the final decision is the Membership Meeting and that this is also the appropriate place to express concerns about such matters. It was also explained that proposals were announced and published in advance.
      • It was noted that the decision-making body is the APNIC membership but as it meets only twice per year, the APNIC EC is empowered to make decisions on behalf of the membership between meetings. It was suggested that concerns about policy between meetings could be referred to the EC.
      • There was a comment from the floor that the decision making process in this region is a very good one, but that there may be a need for the EC or another body, to have the power to review adopted proposals on technical merit to try to avoid unrepresentative self interest from damaging the greater Internet.
      • It was noted that the present discussion does not appear to present any need for emergency action.
      • There was a discussion about whether there was a need to provide for a special mechanism for taking emergency action if that does arise in the future.
      • It was noted that apart from considering only the process, it is necessary to also consider the level of participation. The Chair noted that there had been many comments during this Open Policy Meeting and that participation had been very good. He also noted that the simultaneous translation trialled at this meeting had been very useful and should be considered for all future meetings.
      • It was also noted that this meeting had been multicast on the Mbone. It was suggested that this may prove to be another way of providing broader input in the future.
      • The Chair of the EC noted that the meeting is open to the entire community. He also noted that the EC would certainly listen to community voices from outside the membership.
      • It was noted that in previous meetings, the agenda has left little time for general discussion, so for this meeting the agenda was deliberately designed to allow discussion at this meeting.


      • A prize draw was then conducted, courtesy of France Telecom

      • Maemura-san, representing France Telecom called for a volunteer to draw the prizes. Kuo Wei Wu volunteered to assist. The winners were presented with French champagne, kindly supplied by France Telecom.
      • The Chair thanked France Telecom for their Gold sponsorship and also KRNIC for their continuing support.
      • The Chair made a final request for general comments.
      • All of sponsors of the 14th APNIC Open Policy Meeting were thanked, namely:
        • France Telecom
        • Cisco Systems
        • Juniper Networks
        • NTT Communications
        • China Telecom
        • KRNIC
        • TWNIC
        • Microsoft
        • The Chair thanked the SIG Chairs and presented them with gifts. He also thanked the trainers who presented courses during the Open Policy Meeting and noted that the feedback had been very positive.
        • He thanked Professor Okamura and his students from Kyushu University for the multicast facilities.
        • The E-Side staff were thanked for the quality of their work.
        • The Chair thanked APNIC Events Manager Vivian Yang, who was not able to attend the meeting. He also thanked the rest of the APNIC staff and noted that he had received many good comments from participants regarding the service from the staff.
        • He thanked the participants for attending and providing so much input to the discussions at the this meeting.
        • Finally, the Chair thanked JPNIC for hosting the meeting, bearing part of the meeting costs, and working so hard for so long to make this meeting a success. He presented a gift, which was accepted by Yuka-san on behalf of JPNIC.

        Top

      • Next meetings
      • This next meeting will be held in conjunction with APRICOT 2003 in Taipei, late February 2003.

        • Vincent Chen from TWNIC invited all to attend both APRICOT and APNIC 15. He explained that February has the best weather of the year in Taiwan and that it is in the middle of a famous festival period.

        • The Chair announced a call for proposals to host the 16th APNIC Open Policy Meeting and encouraged any interested organisations to consider making a proposal.

        Meeting closed: 5:30 pm

        Minuted by: Gerard Ross

        Open action items
        • Action amm-14-001: ASO and APNIC Secretariat to document and publish the new AC election procedure.

        • Action amm-14-002: APNIC to include IPv6 details in resource summary reports and update reports daily.

        • Action amm-14-003: Secretariat to implement the proposal to cease support for MAIL-FROM authentication.

        • Action amm-14-004: Secretariat to implement the NIR criteria and operational policies documents (subject to further development of the in.addr.arpa considerations).

        • Action amm-14-005: Secretariat to provide two projectors for future Address policy SIGs and AMMs.

        • Action amm-14-006: Secretariat to implement the consensus items from the Address policy SIG, subject to any amendments described above.

        Top  |  SIGs

        Hosted by: JPNIC

© 1999 - 2020 APNIC Pty. Ltd. Contact us | Privacy statement