APRICOT 2003


SIG: Routing

Wednesday 26 February 2003, Taipei International Convention Center (TICC), Taipei, Taiwan

Minutes

Meeting commenced: 2:10pm

Chair: Philip Smith

The Chair introduced the SIG and explained the agenda. He provided general guidelines for the presenters and encouraged a wide range of participation in the discussions.

Contents
  1. Discussion about Routing SIG charter
  2. Election of co-Chair
  3. Internet NOC dial by ASN project
  4. Inferring Causes of route flap: why we can't
  5. APNIC unassigned space report
  6. The new APNIC Routing Registry
  7. RPSLng update
  8. Internet routing table analysis update
  1. Discussion about Routing SIG charter
  2. Philip Smith, Cisco

    The Chair displayed a draft charter for this SIG and requested feedback about any changes that should be made.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was suggested that Routing System Security be included in the charter. There were no objections to this proposal.

    Action items

    • Action rt-15-001: The Chair to send out the draft charter to the sig-routing mailing list. If no comments are received, the new charter will be implemented.

    Top

  3. Election of co-Chair
  4. Philip Smith, Cisco

    The Chair stated that two nominees had responded to a call for co-Chairs on the sig-routing mailing list, however, neither nominee was present at the SIG meeting. He then called for volunteers amongst SIG attendees.

    Questions and discussion

    • Randy Bush agreed to be nominated as co-Chair.

    Action items

    • Action rt-15-002: The Chair to send Randy Bush's nomination for co-Chair to the sig-routing mailing list for further discussion. A final decision to be made within two weeks.

    Top

  5. Internet NOC dial by ASN project
  6. Bill Woodcock, Packet Clearing House

    Presentation

    This presentation outlined the use of a telephone system using AS numbers. The speaker outlined problems encountered and benefits of the system. Information on how to participate in the project was also outlined.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question about how well the phone would work with a 40% packet drop. The speaker explained that it would work better than a PSTN call across satellite.
    • There was a question about whether the phones could be multihomed. It was explained that the phones could be put on a multihomed network.
    • It was noted that the project used 00 to signify international dialling because no ASNs start with that number.
    • It was noted that inbound calls from the PSTN were not possible yet, however, outbound calls were permissible.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  7. Inferring Causes of route flap: why we can't
  8. Randy Bush, IIJ

    Presentation

    This presentation argued that it was not possible to find the definitive cause of route flaps due to the multiple events that can be produced at each BGP node.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  9. APNIC unassigned space report
  10. Geoff Huston, APNIC

    Presentation

    This presentation addressed how the RIRs can assist in stopping unallocated address space being routed, an issue first raised at APNIC 12. The speaker noted that to date, it has been a labour intensive process for network staff to filter out unallocated address space. The presentation outlined how APNIC now creates lists that can be parsed by scripts to automate the process.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that the format of globally allocated space statistics had previously been agreed upon by the RIRs. The speaker noted that the statistics for allocated space in ftp.apnic.net/pub/apnic/freespace were updated daily rather than monthly as in the ftp.apnic.net/apnic/stats file.
    • It was suggested that the monthly delay between other RIRs' published statistics monthly could cause some allocations to be not visible until the end of the month. The speaker suggested that daily feeds would be more accurate and counter this.
    • The speaker commented that there needed to be work to discover why unallocated space and ASNs are being used. Currently, it is impossible to tell if it is due to leakage or something more sinister.
    • It was suggested that the data from the free space statistics could be extracted and placed into a route-set object or objects which could be updated on a daily basis. The speaker thought this was a good suggestion.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  11. The new APNIC Routing Registry
  12. Sanjaya, APNIC

    Presentation

    The presentation described the purpose and functions of a Routing Registry, the benefits of integrating the whois database with the APNIC Routing Registry, and services associated with the registry.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that APNIC was in the process of developing a training course on how to use the Routing Registry. Interested members were encouraged to subscribe to the training mailing list or check the website regularly for updates on the course.
    • The Chair asked if any attendees were using the registry or planning to use the Routing Registry. There were a number of people who raised their hands.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  13. RPSLng update
  14. Philip Smith, Cisco, on behalf of Joao Damas, RIPE NCC

    Presentation

    This presentation outlined the need to extend RPSL to support IPv6 which led to RPSLng. It summarised the previous development and current status of the latest RPSLng draft. The Chair stated that he believed the RPSL WG at IETF would be resurrected to continue the work on RPSLng.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair asked that any questions be directed to the RPSLng mailing list at http://www.ripe.net/mailman/listinfo/rpslng.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  15. Internet routing table analysis update
  16. Philip Smith, Cisco

    Presentation

    This presentation outlined the latest analysis of the routing table. The speaker summarised the recent changes to the report, such as the inclusion of LACNIC in the report. The speaker noted that the number of /24s being announced to the Internet has increased over the last year. It was noted that when CIDR was introduced, a few networks decided to aggregate their /24s, but that not all space in the aggregated ranges was allocated to them. This issue had been raised at NANOG and will be investigated further.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that describing all unallocated space as "IANA reserved addresses" was misleading. Some of the space is related to RIR-allocated space that has no documentation associated with it. The speaker agreed that the terminology used in the presentation was a little loose.
    • There was a question whether any of the networks using unallocated resources are being filtered by other networks. The speaker explained that there are some networks that filter out the unallocated or reserved space that is visible in some views of the routing table.
    • It was noted that from other views, two flapping 8s could be observed, which did not show up in the presenter's analysis.

    Action items

    • None

    Meeting closed: 3:40 pm

    Minuted by: Sam Dickinson

    Open action items
    • Action rt-15-001: The Chair to send out the draft charter to the sig-routing mailing list. If no comments are received, the new charter will be implemented.

    • Action rt-15-002: The Chair to send Randy Bush's nomination for co-Chair to the sig-routing mailing list for further discussion. A final decision to be made within two weeks.

    Top

Top of page

Last modified: Monday, 19-Jul-2004 10:38:01 EST | © 1999 - 2020 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement