APNIC 16 Home APNIC 16 Home
APNIC Home

 

SIG: NIR

Thursday 21 August 2003, Lotte Hotel, Jamsil - Seoul, Korea

Minutes

Meeting commenced: 4:00 pm

Chair: Akinori Maemura

Co-chair: Chia-Nan Hsieh

The Chair introduced the SIG and explained the agenda.

Contents
  1. Draft charter
  2. KRNIC project for updated and advanced whois database
  3. JPNIC Open Policy Meeting update
  4. APJII Open Policy Meeting update
  5. TWNIC RMS update
  6. Brief report: NIR System Meeting
  7. Current open action items
  1. Draft charter
  2. Akinori Maemura, JPNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter explained that it is necessary to define a charter for the NIR SIG to provide guidance and focus to SIG activities.

    The draft charter has already been circulated as follows:

    • "The charter of the NIR SIG is to share information relating to the operations, policies, and procedures of National Internet Registries with the aim of promoting close cooperation both between the NIRs and with the APNIC Secretariat."

    Questions and discussion

    • The SIG accepted the draft charter without amendment.

    Top

  3. KRNIC project for updated and advanced whois database
  4. Jin-man Kim, KRNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter described the goals and status of the KRNIC project to develop a more advanced whois database for IP address registration.

    The presenter outlined the development timeline for this project and outlined the general specifications of the project.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that there are two KRNIC technical staff involved in this project, as well as three outsourced contractors.
    • It was noted that KRNIC consulted with database users as part of this project. It was also noted that privacy and security concerns are now being considered.
    • It was noted that KRNIC has developed a very good system of classifications to be incorporated into the database. This classification system will help with statistical gathering, but will also be useful in cyber-crime and security issues.
    • It was confirmed that with the new database classifications, customers who change their services will need to update their registrations.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  5. JPNIC Open Policy Meeting update
  6. Yuka Suzuki, JPNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation summarised the discussions and results from the most recent JPNIC meeting, held in July 2003.

    The presenter described the nature of the JPNIC policy meetings and the policy development process and reviewed the history of previous meetings. The most recent meeting was well attended by 67 participants and included JPNIC, JPIRR, and APNIC updates. It also included policy and operational discussions.

    The JPNIC IP RMS service was discussed and a status report was delivered.

    There was considerable discussion regarding current issues in IPv6 address policy, including the proposal to produce an IPv6 Address Guide. There were also discussions on downstream allocations and PI address agent service (which is in strong demand).

    JPNIC is seeking to encourage more proposals from their community. JPNIC are also considering whether to plan an additional SIG.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was suggested to update the term PI to portable assignment as this has been changed in APNIC documentation.
    • It was noted that TWNIC has been wishing to hold a similar meeting but is having problems getting ISPs to show interest. It was explained that the efforts by JPNIC to raise interest and encourage participation seem to be working as the most recent meeting was the most successful one to date. It was noted that KRNIC has small workshops with ISPs several times per year and encourages policy issues to be discussed by email.
    • JPNIC noted that approximately half of their attendees are ISPs. Academics, researchers, and appliance developers also attend.
    • CNNIC noted it does not have the same level of profile that some other NIRs have, due to the number of ISPs receiving addresses from other organizations.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  7. APJII Open Policy Meeting update
  8. Ahmad Alkazimy, APJII

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation was a report on the intentions and effects of the APJII Policy Meetings (APM).

    The presenter noted that since APMs have commenced, there has been an increase in the level of policy knowledge among the APJII community and better participation in mailing list discussions. The presenter reviewed some of the current policy issues in the APM forum.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a suggestion of timing NIR policy meetings to occur shortly before the APNIC meeting so that policy proposals put to the APNIC policy development process could be discussed at NIR meetings. This would allow NIR members to consider APNIC policy proposals and have their views reported by the NIRs.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  9. TWNIC RMS update
  10. Sheng Wei Kuo, TWNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter gave an overview of the objectives, design, and development of the TWNIC Resource Management System.

    The presenter provided a detailed overview of the functionality, architecture, workflow, and management of the RMS.

    The RMS incorporates ticketing and billing tools; resource management for IPv4, IPv6, and ASNs; statistical functions; and backup.

    The RMS also allows the general public to perform whois searches. It is planned that the RMS will completely take over from the new system by the end of August 2003.

    Finally, the presenter gave a short demonstration of the RMS.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was explained that RMS caters for large requests by providing different interfaces and an API which allow ISPs to load multiple requests in one go.
    • It was noted the display of IPv4 utilisation is very interesting and will also used to display IPv6 utilisation in terms of the HD ratio.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

  11. Brief report: NIR System Meeting
  12. Taiji Kimura, JPNIC

    This was a brief review of the NIR System meeting held on 19 August 2003 with NIR and APNIC technical staff.

    The meeting discussed the status of latest protocols such as CRISP/EEP. The use of LDAP was discussed, as was IRIS using XML. It was noted that CRISP is a complex protocol and deployment would take between nine months and one year.

    The meeting also discussed JPNIC developments, TWNIC RMS, KRNIC IRMS, and developments at APJII and VNNIC. All presentations from the NIR System Meeting will be sent to the nir-system@nic.ad.jp mailing list.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair encouraged presentations from the NIR systems meeting to be made available on the APNIC web site.

    Action items

    • None

    Top

    Meeting closed: 5:30 pm

    Minuted by: Gerard Ross

    Open action items
    • None

    Minutes

 

APNIC 16 hosted by
KRNIC
Last modified: Monday, 19-Jul-2004 10:38:13 EST | © 1999 - 2022 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement