APNIC 17 home APNIC 17 home APNIC home

Minutes

APNIC Member Meeting (and AC election)

Friday 27 February 2003, Palace of the Golden Horses Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Minutes

Meeting commenced: 9:10 am

Chair: Paul Wilson

At 9:20 am, the Chair opened the APNIC Member Meeting and thanked the sponsors, JPNIC (Silver sponsor) and TWNIC (Silver sponsor). The Chair explained the agenda and asked for comments or suggestions for any other agenda items.

Contents

  1. APNIC status report
  2. APNIC Executive Council report
  3. APNIC forward plan and budget for 2004
  4. RIR joint statistics
  5. ARIN report
  6. LACNIC report
  7. AfriNIC report
  8. RIPE NCC report
  9. Policy SIG report
  10. Database SIG
  11. DNS SIG report
  12. NIR SIG report
  13. IPv6 Technical SIG
  14. IX SIG
  15. Routing SIG report
  16. APOPs
  17. CRISP
  18. APNIC/APCERT whois database BOF
  19. Web site
  20. Report on the ASO AC
  21. ICANN/NRO update
  22. Open microphone session
  23. EC election result
  24. Next meetings
  25. Other business
  1. APNIC status report

  2. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter noted that the published Annual Report has been distributed in the meeting kits.

    The rate of APNIC membership growth has been increasing over the past year. In 2003, there was a net increase of 112 members. The membership distribution around the region has changed slightly in recent years. There has been strong growth in Australia. The growth rate has declined in Hong Kong, but is increasing in India following changes in regulatory structure.

    IPv4 address demand continues to grow at a steady linear rate. Japan, China, and Korea led the region in terms of IPv4 address consumption. This was contrasted with the distribution of members, due to the presence of NIRs in certain economies.

    IPv6 demand was steady, but slower, in 2003. This contrasts with other regions, where demand increased.

    ASN demand has slowed. There is talk of introducing a 32 bit system for ASNs, but there is no urgent need for this. Korea holds the most ASNs in the region, followed by Japan and Australia. China has relatively few ASNs compared to its address holdings, reflecting the fact that China has a relatively low number of very large networks (rather than many small networks).

    APNIC Secretariat staffing is now at 40. The staff is expected to increase by about two in 2004.

    The helpdesk continues to provide service, both at the Secretariat office and at meetings around the region. It is planned to introduce VoIP in 2004 to make the helpdesk even more accessible. There is a well-established system of account management and multilingual support.

    The Training team managed to deliver courses to more than 1,000 participants in 23 courses in 2003. There have been many developments in structuring the training course and making it available at different levels. In particular, there has been extensive work in developing an advanced DNS workshop. There has been much collaboration with NIRs and other organisations to extend APNIC's training reach.

    Version 1.3 of MyAPNIC has now been released, featuring a technical menu with looking glass functions, an ISP online request form, online voting, bulk data upload and download, and integration with the RT ticketing system.

    There have been improvements in the X.509 certificate authority, including installation of a hardware security system. To date more than 900 certificates have been issued. This is significant as the IETF is now looking at securing the routing system, using certification of resource holdings. This area will continue to grow in importance.

    APNIC has introduced several enhancements to APNIC meetings, including the on site notice board, multicast, live captioning. It is necessary to promote the use of the live meeting content to increase the level of remote participation.

    Apster, the APNIC quarterly newsletter was featured. Apster is available by subscription and also online.

    The presenter provided an overview of the new policy development process and reviewed the proposals that have been considered in this process to date.

    APNIC has embarked on the distribution of root server mirrors throughout the region. The mirrors are deployed using the anycast system. They have been deployed in Hong Kong, mainland China, Taiwan, and Singapore in 2003. In 2004 they have been deployed in Australia and Hong Kong and several more are now being planned. APNIC is a coordinator of these services in the region, but is not an operator.

    APNIC redeveloped the event registration system to support APNIC meetings and trainings. This system has also been made available to APRICOT.

    The Early Registration Transfer (ERX) project was a major source of technical work in 2004. To date the project is about 50 percent complete and has added the equivalent of three /8 blocks to APNIC's management responsibilities.

    APNIC's financial position was discussed. APNIC keeps its books in AU dollars for the purposes of taxation and audit, but it reports to the membership in US dollars. It was explained that most of APNIC's revenue is in US dollars, while most of its expenses are in AU dollars. In 2004, the unexpected strength of the AU dollar posed many budgetary challenges. However, a mid year revision to the budget ensured a balanced end of year budget. APNIC ended the year with a slight surplus (approximately US$60,000).

    It was noted that the revenue figures show a large foreign exchange loss. It was explained that this is a reporting loss rather than an actual loss. It arises due to the foreign exchange fluctuations between when revenue is received and when expenses are made. When the US dollar increases, APNIC receives a reporting benefit. When the US dollar decreases, APNIC has a loss in the reported amounts.

    APNIC's cash reserve increased in value, due to the foreign exchange movements. It was noted that this offsets the reported foreign exchange losses in revenue.

    The Annual Report and the financial reports are voluntarily audited by independent auditors appointed by the EC.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  3. APNIC Executive Council report

  4. Akinori Maemura, EC Chair

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This report summarised the recent activities of the APNIC EC. The presenter introduced the members of the Executive Council. He noted the meetings that have been held to date in 2004 - two teleconferences and one face to face meeting.

    The presenter noted that the EC reviews the financial position at every monthly meeting to ensure stability. The biggest issue in this regard at present is the foreign exchange rate.

    The EC endorsed the eight policy consensus items from the APNIC 16. The EC also issued an interim clarification note on the interpretation of the IPv6 policy document provisions relating to private networks.

    The EC also discussed the issue of online voting and approved the MyAPNIC voting system for use at future APNIC elections.

    The minutes of all EC meetings are available on the APNIC web site.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  5. APNIC forward plan and budget for 2004

  6. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The Secretariat has commenced a cyclical strategic planning process. This will have an ongoing six monthly cycle designed to promote continuous improvement of service quality and operational efficiency.

    Training and education will be a major focus in this plan. There will be at least 24 training courses in 2004. Hostmaster staff assist in training delivery. Training courses will be held in conjunction with many meetings around the region and APNIC will coordinate training delivery with other organisations, such as AIT. Work on the DNS and IRR courses will continue and a routing workshop will be developed.

    There will be a focus on improving integration of communication activities. This will apply to the web site, publications, documentation, translations, meetings, training, and media announcements. There will also be increased work in developing stakeholder relationships, using area liaison officers and survey work. APNIC will also increase the frequency of seminars and presentations in collaboration with other outreach events.

    There will be a member and stakeholder survey in 2004.

    The Secretariat intends to improve services quality management. This will involve measuring quality and activity of service delivery. There is also a need to streamline and simplify all services and procedures and to provide better translations and localisation support.

    The integrity of the registry has been flagged as a major area for work. Consistency of systems and accuracy of data is a core responsibility of the organisation. There is work underway with the CRISP group to move towards a comprehensive global Whois service. Certification of resources is also an emerging issue.

    In resource policy support, the new policy process has been implemented. The Secretariat will increase the amount of research and analysis to support policy development. Liaison activities are also important to ensure effective representation of needs around the region. APNIC meetings are also vital to supporting policy development.

    Internet operational support is a priority for APNIC, with increased deployment of APNIC PoPs around the region. The rootserver support will continue, subject to support from other organisations to share the costs. The publication of RIR statistics has been reviewed and updated. ERX activities will also continue to improve resource management services in the region.

    The APNIC budget has been proposed to meet the activities described above. However, the budget is developed with a conservative approach to take account of factors such as the likely number of new and renewing members, other possible income sources, the effect of interest and inflation, and the uncertain exchange rate.

    There was a detailed review of the proposed budget items.

    It was noted that after a period of rapid growth, APNIC now appears to be in a stable position. The budget has been structured with the intention of maintaining a capital reserve equivalent to the next year's expected operating expenses.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    [Break 10:30 - 11:00 am ]

    Top

    RIR reports and joint statistics

  7. RIR joint statistics

  8. Son Tran, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presentation reviewed the current global status of IPv4, IPv6, and ASN resources.

    The presenter noted that the global consumption of IPv4 was about five /8s in 2003. ARIN have received the most IPv4 addresses from IANA. ARIN have also received the most number of ASNs.

    The presenter noted that the trend of IPv6 allocation has slowed in the ARIN region while it has grown in the other regions. The RIPE region has the most IPv6 allocations.

    The presenter provided links to more detailed statistical information available on the RIR web sites.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  9. ARIN report

  10. Richard Jimmerson, ARIN

    Presentation [pdf]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and current resource status of ARIN.

    ARIN has been continuing much work in the ERX project.

    ARIN is currently negotiating to bring native IPv6 to their network, which will be used for all services.

    ARIN has been working on solving address hijacking problems in recent times and developing methods to counter unauthorised changes in the database. There has been other technical work in relation to CRISP development.

    ARIN has been receiving input on improving the web site, especially in relation to the publication of statistics. There has also been increased work in developing translations of templates and documents as well as other improvements to the document store. Training on demand is another area that has seen much development.

    The presenter described some policy developments, including small /22 allocations for multihomed organisations, a revised fee structure, changes to the allocation period, removal of the maximum allocation size, smaller allocation availability for the African region, and experimental resource allocations. He also outlined some current proposals that are now under discussion. Details of the policy developments are available in the presentation.

    The presenter highlighted the contents of the ARIN on-demand training that has recently developed. The training modules allow users to step through the procedures and receive information on how to complete forms.

    The presenter encouraged everyone to attend the next ARIN meeting that will be held in Vancouver in April 2004.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  11. LACNIC report

  12. German Valdez, LACNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of LACNIC.

    Brazil currently holds 45 percent of the IPv4 address space in the region, with Mexico and Argentina also holding large proportions. The presenter described the work of transitioning the management of resources from ARIN. In terms of ASNs, Brazil also holds the greatest amount. To date there have been 11 IPv6 allocations.

    LACNIC currently has 158 members, nearly half of which are in the small category. Argentina holds the most memberships.

    The presenter reviewed the policy updates from 2003. There were developments in bulk whois distribution, IPv6 micro-allocation, multihomed user micro-allocations, experimental allocations, and IPv6 policy changes. Details of the policy developments are available in the presentation.

    LACNIC is currently reviewing its policy development process.

    The presenter noted that LACNIC provides full support in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.

    LACNIC conducted six training sessions in 2003 and also offered sessions in their meetings covering BGP, advanced DNS, and IPv6.

    The next LACNIC meeting will be held in Montevideo Uruguay from 29 March to 1 April 2004. This meeting will be held in conjunction with LACTLD and ECOMLAC. It will also feature an IPv6 forum, a round table on Internet governance, and a workshop on the strategic vision for Internet number resources.

    The presenter explained LACNIC's involvement in the FRIDA project to provide small development grants.

    LACNIC achieved a very strong financial result for its first year of operation.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  13. AfriNIC report

  14. Adiel Akplogan, AfriNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This presentation described the current status of the emerging RIR, AfriNIC. The process of transition has been continuing, with support from the other three RIRs. So far, two staff have been trained at RIPE NCC and will be relocated to South Africa. There has been work going on to develop the budget and to establish the offices in four locations in AfriNIC.

    There is work on an outreach program to keep members updated on the progress of the transition activities.

    The presenter reviewed the organisational structure of AfriNIC. The Board will have representatives from Southern, North, and East Africa. There is now an interim Secretariat formed of people from various countries in Africa.

    The presenter provided details of the office locations that are to be used.

    There is an AfriNIC policy working group to design policies with which to commence operations. The policies are being developed to meet the economic reality of Africa. The presenter invited everyone to subscribe to the policy-wg@afrinic.org mailing list. He also described the policy development process.

    Upcoming activities in 2004 include a member meeting in May in Senegal (in conjunction with AFNOG), a Board meeting in Cairo in May, and a regional RIR meeting with ARIN and RIPE NCC. There will also be several training courses delivered to raise awareness of AfriNIC process and policies. There is now a AfriNIC web site at http://www.afrinic.com.

    AfriNIC is continuing its involvement in other RIR meetings, workshops, and activities.

    The new website lists the organisations which have expressed support for AfriNIC.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  15. RIPE NCC report

  16. Paul Rendek, RIPE NCC

    Presentation [pdf]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of RIPE NCC.

    RIPE has now implemented a /21 minimum allocation policy. Development is ongoing in other policies, including the policy development process, a special assignment policy for TLD DNS operators, and a /22 minimum allocation for Africa.

    Registration services are now enjoying stable response times. There is now a wizard for non-portable address space requests in the LIR portal.

    RIPE NCC plans to hold 80 training courses in 2004. Most will be LIR courses, but they will also deliver IRR and DNSSec courses. RIPE NCC has been discussing with APNIC how to share development of some training materials.

    There are now RIPE NCC regional meetings that are designed to focus on specific local needs and include training courses. The first such meeting was held in Dubai and received an excellent turnout. Future meetings are now planned in Moscow and Nairobi.

    In technical developments, RDNS restructuring is expected to be completed soon, RIPE NCC has now deployed three nodes of the K-root server, and a dnsmon prototype is now available.

    There have been several database improvements, including work on consistency, X.509 authentication, and RPSLng functionality.

    RIPE NCC is now using a specific address block for African allocations. RIPE NCC will continue other involvement with AfriNIC transition activities.

    RIPE NCC is hosting the Secretariat for both the ASO and the NRO in 2004.

    The next RIPE meeting will be Amsterdam in early May 2004.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question about the dnsmon tool. It is designed to monitor the health of the DNS service, including server reachability.

    [Break 12:20 pm - 2:00 pm]

    Top

    SIG reports

    The Chair described the role of the AMM in reviewing the reports and recommendations arising from the SIGs. He also reviewed the requirements of the policy development process.

  17. Policy SIG report

  18. Takashi Arano, iNetcore

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter thanked the SIG Co-chairs for their assistance and noted the good SIG attendance.

    He then reviewed the consensus items and recommended actions arising from the SIG.

    Multiple discrete networks [prop-013v001]

    This was a proposal to allow accounts with multiple discrete networks to be merged into one. The SIG set an action item for the proponent to consider resubmitting a modified version of the proposal, which will define "multiple discrete networks" and consider the use of the HD ratio for sub-allocating address blocks.

    IPv4 minimum allocation criteria [prop-0140v001]

    This was a proposal to lower the minimum allocation to /21 and lower the minimum allocation criteria to require an immediate need for a /23 and a detailed plan for the use of a /22 in one year. The SIG reached consensus on this proposal.

    There was a show of hands. The Chair noted consensus to adopt this proposal.

    IPv6 allocation to closed network [prop-015-v001]

    This was a proposal to allow allocation of IPv6 address space to closed networks (provided other existing criteria are met).

    There was a show of hands. The Chair noted consensus to adopt this proposal.

    IPv6 allocation to IPv4 networks [prop-016-v001]

    This was a proposal to clarify the IPv6 policy document and specifically allow IPv4 infrastructure to be considered during IPv6 request process. The SIG accepted the proposal subject to an amendment that there be a requirement for LIRs to have a plan to move some of their customers from IPv4 within two years.

    There was a show of hands. The Chair noted consensus to adopt this proposal.

    Recovery of address space [prop-017-001]

    This was a proposal to recover unused historical IPv4 address space. Under this proposal, the APNIC Secretariat will identify and recover unused resources. If the Secretariat can't contact the resource holder, it will put the resources put into "unused" pool after one year.

    There was a show of hands. The Chair noted consensus to adopt this proposal.

    IPv6 guidelines

    This was an informational item relating to the creation of guidelines for the IPv6 policy. The SIG put an action item on the Secretariat to edit and publish the guidelines and seek comments.

    Subsequent allocation in DSL/cable guideline

    The SIG put an action item on the Secretariat to call for volunteers of new WG to review the current DSL/cable guidelines.

    Other informational items

    The presenter also reviewed the following informational presentations that were made during the SIG (details available in Policy SIG minutes):

    • LIR IPv6 requirements
    • Updates of the IPv6 address experiment in Japan
    • NAT is evil

    Top

  19. Database SIG

  20. Xing Li, CERNET

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter reviewed the consensus items and recommended actions arising from the SIG.

    Proposal to protect historical records in the Whois database

    This was a proposal to protect all historical inetnum and autnum objects with APNIC HM maintainer. Resource holders will still be able to use the resource, but must sign a formal agreement with APNIC to maintain their records. To cover administrative costs, it was proposed that a US$100 fee apply for each maintainer.

    There was a show of hands. The Chair noted consensus to adopt this proposal.

    A proposal for "IRR mirroring policy"

    This proposal was presented for the third time. The SIG decided to return the proposal to the mailing list for additional discussion.

    Other informational items

    The presenter also reviewed the following informational presentations that were made during the SIG (details available in DB SIG minutes):

    • Status report of the Secretariat's work on the privacy of customer assignments
    • Status report on the Early Registration Transfer (ERX) project.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  21. DNS SIG report

  22. Joe Abley, ISC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The SIG Chair noted that there had been 60 people in attendance at the meeting. There were no policy proposals. The SIG Chair described the informational presentations, including:

    • NZ Registry Services
    • K-root operations
    • F-root deployments in the Asia Pacific
    • Lame delegation update
    • The OARC initiative

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  23. NIR SIG report

  24. Maemura Akinori, JPNIC IP Department

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The SIG Chair reviewed the history of the NIR SIG. He explained the agenda for this meeting and noted that there were 34 attendees, representing all NIRs and APNIC. He noted that there were informational reports only, with no proposals or action items.

    The reports included:

    • JPNIC open policy meeting update
    • TWNIC open policy meeting update
    • JPNIC update
    • VNNIC - NIR operations and present status
    • KRNIC staff experience at APNIC training
    • Report on the NIR system meeting

    It was noted that this SIG was a very valuable interaction between speakers and audience.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  25. IPv6 Technical SIG

  26. Kazu Yamamoto, IIJ

    Presentation [pdf]

    The SIG Chair explained that the session had been attended by 57 people. The SIG has modified its charter, which is available on the web site. The presentations were all informational, including:

    • IPv6 allocation update
    • IPv6 .kr DNS deployment status in Korea
    • IPv6 deployment metrics in Japan

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  27. IX SIG

  28. Philip Smith, Cisco

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The SIG Chair presented the SIG agenda and noted that the SIG was attended by 63 people.

    The SIG Chair thanked Serge Radovic and Venessa Evans for coming to this region to report on the status of their IXes.

    The SIG had one open action item to deal with, namely clarifications to the ASN policy document and ASN request form. The SIG Chair thanked the Secretariat for performing this work.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  29. Routing SIG report

  30. Philip Smith, Cisco

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The SIG Chair noted that there was only presentation, but that it was long and extremely interesting review by Geoff Huston on allocation versus announcement statistics. He recommended that everyone review the presentation online as it is one of the best he had seen.

    The SIG Chair noted that the presentation was following by a very good, interesting discussion. He suggested that this topic should be revisited in the next SIG.

    There were 44 attendees.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

    BOFs

  31. APOPs

  32. Philip Smith, Cisco

    The BOF coordinator described the role of the APOPs BOF. He noted that it is a forum for operators in the region to meet and discuss topics of common interest. He noted that APNIC hosts a web site for APOPs. He encouraged subscription to the discussion list.

    The BOF featured updates from JANOG, SANOG, NZNOG, and WAIA and two presentations on specific operational experiences.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    The Chair noted the attendance at the IX SIG and promised to make a bigger room allocation for it in future.

    Top

  33. CRISP

  34. George Michaelson, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This BOF had 10 attendees. The discussions covered issues such as:

    • CRISP Working Group status in the IETF
    • XML coding and implementation issues
    • EPP (which is considered a good candidate for RIR to NIR interactions, as there are open source implementations available and it is extensible)

    Discussions commences in this BOF will be continued by email.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  35. APNIC/APCERT whois database BOF

  36. George Michaelson, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This BOF had more than 25 attendees and discussed:

    • Improving WHOIS data accuracy
    • IRT Object issues
    • Improved inter-agency data sharing
    • Abuse-C proposal at RIPE NCC MM

    The presenter notes that APNIC is expected to investigate improved data access for cc level subsets of WHOIS data.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  37. Web site

  38. Gerard Ross, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The intention of the web site BOF was to get feedback from a variety of stakeholders on how to improve the APNIC web site. The presenter noted that despite a high registration, there were less than ten attendees. However, there was very useful feedback received, especially in relation to speed, document access, and navigation.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Top

  39. AC update

  40. Kenny Huang, ASO AC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter described the role and functions of the ASO Address Council. He explained the composition of the AC, including the observers. He noted that one of the important roles of the AC is to elect an ICANN Board member and he explained the election process.

    The presenter reviewed the activities of the ASO AC and noted that the next General Assembly will be held with the next RIPE meeting.

    The AC is investigating options for e-voting. It is also reviewing the draft proposal for the NRO ICANN memorandum of understanding.

    Top

  41. ICANN/NRO update

  42. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The Chair explained the developments in the ICANN process that led to the formation of the Number Resource Organization (NRO). The NRO was formed late in 2003 as a "coalition" of the RIRs to carry on joint activities, such as technical services, RIR point of contact, RIR representation, and negotiation with external parties.

    It is intended that negotiations with ICANN will lead to the formation of a new ASO. The NRO will be the point of contact in these negotiations. The intention is that there should be a body that would be able to continue to provide services in the absence of ICANN. The RIRs have been clear in their position that prior to the ICANN reform process, there was a strong chance of losing ICANN. Therefore, the RIRs decided to be more careful in structuring a system that would be able to survive ICANN if such a situation arose again. The RIRs designed the NRO to be able to be ready to assume responsibility for the numbering resource pool if it was ever needed.

    After a long discussion throughout 2003, the NRO was formed by the RIRs signing an MoU. The NRO is not yet a legal entity, although this is anticipated in the proposals. This would be necessary in the context of some technical activities, which may attract the potential for legal proceedings.

    One of the parts of the NRO is the Number Council (NC), which has a global policy coordination function. The NC has been suspended while the ASO exists in its current form.

    The NRO Executive Council has been appointed, comprising the CEOs of all RIRs. The Engineering group has also been formed and is currently chaired by Andrei Robachevsky. The Secretariat duties are being performed by the RIPE NCC in 2004.

    The Chair then discussed the background of the ASO. There are now reform discussions ongoing with ICANN in relation to the ASO. There are several structural issues that need to be addressed and there are also concerns about the effectiveness of the ASO. The documents produced by the RIRs note the concerns about the ASO and recommend changes that would address them.

    The RIRs' proposal is that the new ASO function should be performed by the NRO. Therefore, under this proposal the Numbers Council would become the Address Council. There would be non-voting appointments from a nominating committee. And there would be mutual liaison with the GAC and ALAC.

    The Chair displayed a diagram to help explain the proposed structure, function, and relationships of the NRO and ASO.

    The Chair then described the background to the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS). There are limited ways for participating in the WSIS, although APNIC has so far attended with other RIRs as an observer. The WSIS will take place over several phases from 2003 to 2005 and will deal with all aspects of ICTs, including "Internet Governance". The actual scope of the Internet governance concept is not well defined.

    There has now been a resolution to form a working group on Internet governance, but so far there are no indications as to how it will be formed or which UN body will host it. The first challenge for the working group will be to define Internet governance.

    The Chair noted that there are no current actions for APNIC to take on this matter except to continue monitoring it. All the RIRs continue to express their support for the current Internet model, including the role of ICANN.

    The expected outcomes of the WSIS process are a UN declaration and a plan of action.

    [Break 3:40 pm - 4:00 pm]

    Top

  43. Open microphone session

  44. The Chair invited any questions or comments from the floor. There were none.

    Top

  45. EC election result

  46. Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The Chair noted that there had been three nominations to fill the three vacant positions. The expiring terms were for Akinori Maemura, Geoff Huston, and Che-Hoo Cheng. Akinori Maemura and Che-Hoo Cheng were renominated. The third candidate is Vinh Ngo.

    The candidates were then invited to address the meeting.

    Vinh Ngo explained his background in the Internet industry in Australia and expressed his desire to meet other members and serve their interests on the EC.

    Che-Hoo Cheng expressed his pleasure at being able to serve the community.

    Akinori Maemura explained that he is very pleased to have another term of service on the EC. He promised to do his best in this important role. He also, on behalf of the rest of the EC, expressed sincere thanks to Geoff Huston for his eight years on the EC. Geoff will now increase his 75 percent employment with APNIC to 100 percent. He presented a gift to Geoff for his service.

    Geoff Huston spoke of his experience on the EC and thanked Paul Wilson for the good work in leading APNIC to where it is now.

    Top

  47. Next meetings

  48. Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The Chair announced that APNIC 18 will be held in Fiji in September 2004, hosted by Fiji Internet Services.

    Alfred Prasad addressed the meeting and expressed his pleasure at being given the chance to host an APNIC meeting. He presented details of the meeting venue, the Sheraton Fiji resort at Denarau.

    The Chair also announced that APRICOT 2005 will be held in Kyoto, Japan and APRICOT 2006 will be held in Bangalore, India. There will be a call for proposals to host APNIC 20 made later in 2004.

    Top

  49. Other business

  50. The Chair thanked JPNIC and TWNIC as sponsors of the meeting and presented gifts to representatives of both organisations.

    The Chair also thanked the SIG Chairs, the guest trainers, the captioning staff, the visiting RIR staff, and the APNIC staff for the smooth operation of the meeting. The Chair thanked all those who attended the meeting.

    The Chair also thanked PIKOM for doing such a good job as the host of APRICOT 2004.

    Finally, there was a draw to select a winner from the web site survey forms received. The winner was P.S. Jayawardhana.

Meeting closed: 4:30 pm

Minuted by: Gerard Ross

Open action items

  • None.

Minutes


 
Top of page

Programme | HM consultation | EC election | Social event | Sponsorship | Past meetings | APRICOT 2004 | APNIC 17 home | APNIC home

Last modified: Monday, 19-Jul-2004 16:28:23 EST | © 1999 - 2014 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement