Minutes

APNIC Member Meeting (and EC election)

Friday 25 February 2005, Kyoto International Conference Hall

Meeting commenced: 9:10 am

Chair: Paul Wilson

The Chair opened the APNIC Member Meeting, explaining the role of the APNIC Member Meeting. He thanked the AMM sponsors, TWNIC, CNNIC, and KRNIC of NIDA.

The Chair explained the agenda and asked for comments or suggestions for any other agenda items.

He noted that there would be an EC election in the meeting, with voting to take place during the lunch break.

He reminded attendees of the meeting resources and archives available on the web site.

Contents

    Status reports

  1. APNIC annual report
  2. APNIC Executive Council report
  3. Forward plan and budget for 2005
  4. Joint statistics
  5. RIR reports

  6. AfriNIC report
  7. ARIN report
  8. LACNIC report
  9. RIPE NCC report
  10. EC voting procedures
  11. SIG, BoF and other meeting reports

  12. Policy SIG report
  13. IPv6 Technical SIG
  14. Database SIG
  15. DNS operations SIG report
  16. NIR SIG report
  17. Report on the NIR WG fee discussions
  18. IX SIG
  19. Routing SIG report
  20. APOPs
  21. CRISP/EPP BoF
  22. Report on the ASO AC
  23. ICANN/NRO/WSIS update
  24. EC election result
  25. Next meeting
  26. Other business

    Status reports

  1. APNIC annual report

  2. Member Services

    Son Tran, APNIC

    This presentation reported the current status and activities of the APNIC Secretariat. The total membership is now over 1000, with the most membership growth in the small tiers. Australia still has the highest number of members, but there is now strong membership growth in South Asia.

    Japan, China, and Korea hold the most IPv4 address space, with the strongest growth in China. Japan, Korea, and Taiwan hold the most IPv6 allocations, but more economies are beginning to use IPv6. ASN distribution is not related to IPv4 use, and current demand for ASNs is relatively low.

    The report noted that the number of languages supported on the Member Helpdesk has increased. Hostmasters attend various regional meetings to meet the community and provide assistance, and there are now also regular videoconferences with NIRs.

    The presenter summarised the recent policy implementations.

    Training Services

    John H’ng, APNIC

    APNIC training includes core streams on Internet resource management and special workshops. APNIC has been collaborating successfully with NIRs and higher education providers in the region. SOI-Asia and the WIDE project webcast the APNIC tutorials from APNIC 19.

    In 2004, APNIC conducted 34 training courses in 25 locations across the region to approximately 900 participants, including five IRR courses and eight DNS workshops.

    Technical Services

    George Michaelson, APNIC

    Several new features were developed for MyAPNIC in 2004, including looking glass, better request tracking, and easier resource requests. In 2005, there will be work to develop a lower bandwidth version of MyAPNIC.

    The presenter reviewed the certification authority work that took place in 2004.

    The presenter displayed a map of the current anycast rootserver mirrors that have been supported by APNIC and noted several new ones which are intended to be deployed in 2005.

    The ERX project has now been completed. The lame DNS management project is now underway and has achieved a reduction in the overall amount of lame DNS.

    Communications

    Anne Lord, APNIC

    APNIC has increased the level of regional partnerships and collaborations, particularly in South Asia, where several MoUs have been signed with various ISP associations.

    APNIC has also provided support to the UNDP-APDIP Internet governance project and has worked closely with operator groups such as SANOG and NANOG.

    The presenter reviewed the APNIC meetings from 2004, which were held in Malaysia and Fiji.

    APNIC commissioned a third membership and stakeholder survey in 2004, the results of which are on the APNIC web site.

    The presenter also discussed Apster, translation efforts, and the development of some multimedia educational materials.

    Secretariat update

    Paul Wilson, APNIC

    The presenter reviewed APNIC Secretariat staff changes, noting that staff growth rates are now very low, although services continue to increase.

    Anne Lord has been appointed to the new position of Communication Director, and Nurani Nimpuno has been appointed as Outreach Coordinator. The organisational chart was also displayed.

    Financial report 2004

    Paul Wilson, APNIC

    Total expenses for 2004 were around $4.8 million, just above the budget forecast. The revenue for the year was $4.9 million, leaving a net surplus for the year of about US$20,000. Stability in the industry environment is such that APNIC is able to plan for balanced budgets without compromising the capital reserve. There was an explanation of the effect of the fluctuations of the exchange rate, which have been offset by the structuring of the invested capital reserves.

    Questions and discussion

    • Remote participants were encouraged to ask questions using the online systems available.

    Top

  3. APNIC Executive Council report

  4. Akinori Maemura, EC Chair

    This report summarised the recent activities of the APNIC EC. The presenter introduced the members of the Executive Council. EC terms are two years and the office holders on the EC are elected for one year.

    He noted the meetings that have been held to date in 2005, including one teleconference and one face-to-face meeting.

    One of the roles of the EC is to endorse policy proposals that reach consensus through the policy development process. The presenter briefly noted the policies endorsed since APNIC 18.

    The EC has also been involved in discussions about Internet governance, and APNIC’s relationship with ICANN, the ASO, and the NRO. The presenter noted APNIC’s response to a draft ITU memorandum on addressing issues.

    There is now an Address Council structure under the ASO MoU. Two AC members are now elected in open elections and one is appointed by the EC. Kenny Huang has been appointed by the EC, continuing the former elected role he held.

    The EC has also been monitoring the ICANN GAC proposal to appoint a liaison to the RIRs. The GAC has appointed Takuya Miyoshi to be the APNIC liaison. The EC met with Miyoshi-san at APNIC 19 to begin negotiating the details of the liaison.

    The EC receives monthly financial reports from the Secretariat and confirms the Annual Financial Report.

    The EC has been considering the use of online voting for future APNIC meetings, as this feature is now available in MyAPNIC. There will be a pilot election in May on the subject of continued production of hard copy Annual Reports. This trial will be used to test the voting system, with a view to using the system officially for the AC election at APNIC 20.

    The minutes of all EC meetings are available on the APNIC web site.

    The current office term for the ASO AC is three years. The EC has discussed shortening this term to two years, to allow annual EC elections. The presenter asked for opinions from the community about this proposed change. The EC will now take this issue further.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  5. Forward plan and budget for 2005

  6. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    The work plan for 2005 has been derived from work at the Secretariat and presented to the EC at this meeting. There has been ongoing strategic planning at the Secretariat. The Secretariat takes a continuous improvement approach to planning.

    There are no major new projects planned, which is consistent with the Secretariat's current steady state budget.

    The major objectives for 2005 were discussed, as described below.

    Training delivery will be continued in 2005 at least at the current rate of 24 locations each year. There will also be expansion of course materials and cooperation with specific regional events, such as SANOG, PITA, inTERlab, and SOI-Asia. There will be a routing workshop developed in 2005, to support training and capacity building in the routing community. CBT and eLearning will also be pursued.

    APNIC is seeking to build stakeholder relationships and outreach activities in 2005. There will also be work to improve integration of communications activities. There will be development with Internet based tools and new media. There will be more focused translation of specific documents and reports. The Secretariat will also put more work into research and statistic dissemination.

    Member care is a priority area targeted at members and other non-member customers. In particular, there will be work to streamline and simplify services, to reduce the perception of APNIC being bureaucratic. The helpdesk hours are being expanded to cover the South Asia subregion better. VoIP will be deployed to increase access to the helpdesk. The Secretariat will also build a section on the website to provide useful technical and business information to ISPs in the region. There are now monthly video conferences with the NIRs.

    Resource policy support is intended to improve development and implementation of policy changes. This will be a priority in 2005.

    One of APNIC’s key responsibilities is integrity of data. Therefore, there will be changes to the architecture of the database and other records in APNIC to create a consistent registry model that will provide long term benefits to the community. There will also be improvements in the presentation of data, such as the CRISP project. APNIC will also increase the use of certification in 2005, moving towards certification of Internet resources, following the PKIX RFC standards.

    APNIC is unique among the RIRs in having an explicit role in its charter to promote development of the Internet in the region. This priority covers things such as increased PoPs for distributed service, root server mirror deployments, the ISP web site, and increased statistical reporting.

    The budget is affected by several unpredictable factors, so the Secretariat uses past performance to project forward in a linear fashion. To date, this method has worked quite effectively. Some other factors are more volatile, such as exchange rate fluctuations and the general financial environment. Therefore, the Secretariat reports regularly to the EC, who may review the budget as the year progresses.

    Expenses have been set at US$5.2 million, based on previous performance and aimed at a balanced budget. There are several discretionary expenses in the budget that could be reviewed throughout the year if needed.

    The budget aims to maintain 100 percent of the 2006 operating expenses in cash reserve.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  7. Joint statistics

  8. Son Tran, APNIC

    The presentation contained a summary of the global Internet resource statistics. It was noted that there are now 78 /8s available. APNIC allocated more IPv4 than the other RIRs in 2004. However, APNIC assigns far fewer ASNs than RIPE NCC and ARIN. RIPE NCC has now allocated the majority of the allocated IPv6 address space. The top ten economies holding IPv6 include, USA, Japan, Germany, Netherlands, UK, Korea, Italy, France, Sweden, and Switzerland. The presenter reviewed the current resource status in the AfriNIC region. The raw data for these global statistics are available on the various RIR websites and are to linked from the NRO website.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The Chair resumed the meeting and reminded members of the EC voting procedures, noting that voting will close at 2pm.

    Top

    [Break 10:25 – 11:05 am]

    RIR reports

  9. AfriNIC report

  10. Ray Plzak, ARIN (on behalf of AfriNIC)

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of AfriNIC. The presenter noted that Adiel Akplogan was unable to attend as he is very busy preparing for the final stage leading up to the expected full recognition of AfriNIC in April.

    The presenter noted the need for consistency for ISPs operating in Africa, who are currently served by three separate RIRs. He outlined the history of the development of AfriNIC, which is now registered in Mauritius, with operation centres in South Africa and Egypt. He also outlined the extent of support that has been received from the RIRs and NRO.

    The first public policy meeting for AfriNIC was held in Dakar in May 2004. At this meeting the allocation and reverse delegation polices were approved and the budget adopted. The presenter noted the composition of the Board, which includes representatives from each of the sub-regions in Africa. All Board members are also backed up by "alternates".

    The presenter displayed the AfriNIC organisational structure.

    The AfriNIC policy development process is very similar to the APNIC process.

    AfriNIC has three observers in the ASO AC. The AfriNIC CEO has also been appointed to the NRO EC.

    The presenter then reviewed the various stages of the progress towards full recognition, including technical, administrative, and financial arrangements. He also discussed the challenges ahead of AfriNIC in terms of training, communication, staffing, and financial stability.

    The next AfriNIC meeting will be held in Maputo, Mozambique on 26 and 27 April.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair expressed APNIC’s sincere congratulations to AfriNIC for their progress. He also noted that five economies and five members have now been transferred to AfriNIC. He also noted that the AfriNIC logo was designed by APNIC’s Chiaki Kanno.

    Top

  11. ARIN report

  12. Ray Plzak, ARIN

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and current resource status of ARIN.

    The presenter displayed the membership distribution in ARIN. He then described the structure of ARIN and explained how decisions are made. In particular he noted the role of the Advisory Council, which is to provide advice to the Board primarily in policy areas.

    The presentation contains a summary of the Registration Service Help Desk statistics and template processing. ARIN on average processes approximately 44,000 templates per month. ARIN is preparing to roll out a new site with more efficient coding, better navigation, and new guidelines content.

    ARIN does not conduct training sessions across the region. It presents tutorials at ARIN meetings and uses computer based training (CBT) materials. The CBT courses were used by more than 8,000 participants in the past six months. There have also been about 14,000 hits on the interactive registration process flowcharts in that period.

    The presenter briefly reviewed a list of technical and administrative activities that are currently ongoing, including an overhaul of ticketing and mail systems and the implementation of web-based click-through service agreements. ARIN has made changes to its accounting system. It has also improved its spam filtering. ARIN is evaluating all of its directory services, including considering proposals to make private certain parts of the database.

    ARIN is faced with an increase in legal-related activities. ARIN was called as an expert witness in the first criminal spam proceedings in Virginia.

    ARIN operates on a three year activity road map that is reviewed weekly. This has improved workload planning and risk management.

    The development of the ARIN Internet resource policy manual has created the opportunity to improve the writing of policies and improve the consistency of the language. This project also feeds into the development of a glossary. The AfriNIC transition has also been a major project.

    The presenter reviewed ARIN’s role in various RIR coordinated activities, including the NRO, WSIS, and WGIG.

    At the last ARIN meeting, two policy proposals were abandoned, two deferred, and one ratified.

    The ARIN XV meeting will be held with the North American IPv6 Summit in Disney World in Orlando, from 17-21 April.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  13. LACNIC report

  14. Ricardo Patera, LACNIC

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of LACNIC.

    The presenter reviewed the current allocation statistics for LACNIC. IPv4 allocation demand is continuing to grow, as is demand for IPv6. There is no growth in demand for ASNs.

    LACNIC conducted training in seven economies in 2004, with about 400 participants.

    LACNIC has changed the IPv4 minimum allocation size from /20 to /21. There is a new policy development process in place. The current topics under discussion are IRR services, IPv6 IANA to RIR policy, resource recovery, and the use of private address space as special justification for allocations.

    LACNIC participates in the FRIDA R&D grants funding program. In 2004, FRIDA funded 12 projects.

    LACNIC is involved in deploying more root server mirrors. There are now two additional F-root mirrors in the region, with more planned for 2005.

    LACNIC has new procedures for the return of resources. It has been working to improve the contact information for ASN holders. It has also concentrated on increasing its direct communication with its members to increase participation in the community.

    In 2005, LACNIC will be extensively involved in governance issues. The LACNIC CEO is a member of the WGIG.

    Improving customer services and strategic planning are priorities for 2005.

    LACNIC VIII will be held in Lima from 27-30 June.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  15. RIPE NCC report

  16. Axel Pawlik, RIPE NCC

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of RIPE NCC.

    The presenter briefly noted policy developments in the RIPE region.

    RIPE NCC is increasing its training activities, including its computer based methods and is collaborating with APNIC in some of these developments.

    There was a review of some major projects, including root server work, completion of ERX, support for AfriNIC, and development of next generation whois software.

    RIPE NCC is concentrating on improving back office systems in 2005, including ticketing, phone systems, and resource management systems.

    RIPE NCC has held several regional meetings over the past year and plans to conduct additional ones in Russia and the Gulf area in 2005.

    At the last general meeting, a new charging scheme was approved, which involved a 10 percent reduction in fees. The budget and activity plan for 2005 have also been approved.

    Like the other RIRs, RIPE NCC is also deeply involved in discussion of governance issues, including the WSIS process. It will also host a round table on Internet Management, geared towards governments and regulators. RIPE NCC has a meeting scheduled with the new European Community Commissioner. It also recently released a special Internet governance issue of its member update.

    The RIPE 50 meeting will be held in Stockholm from 2-6 May, and will feature a new meeting format.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Open microphone discussion

    • Kazu Yamamoto made a brief presentation regarding requests to NIRs from ISPs. He requested, from an ISP point of view, for NIRs to provide info of "abuse" contact point addresses in whois and to encourage their members to use this. This request was motivated by the increasing problem of dealing with spam and the lack of appropriate contact information.

    Top

  17. EC voting procedures

  18. Paul Wilson, APNIC.

    • There are four vacancies on the Executive Council and 10 nominations have been received. The list of candidates was displayed and the voting procedure was explained.
    • The ballot papers have been distributed. Each form corresponds to a single vote.
    • On each form, up to four candidates must be selected. Those holding multiple ballots are entitled to split their vote as they see fit.
    • The Chair explained the circumstances in which ballots may be considered invalid.
    • Ballots must be returned by 2pm sharp.
    • The Chair called for volunteers to help count votes.
    • The Chair invited candidates to address the meeting.
    • Jethin Chandran

      The candidate was not present, but a statement was made on his behalf, noting his experience and expressing the desire to help with the growth of the Internet in this region.

    • Moo-Ho Billy Cheon

      This candidate outlined his experience in KRNIC of NIDA and in the APNIC community. He stated his belief that it is time for him to contribute to the community in an even more significant way. He spoke of his desire to serve the community.

    • Manish Dhawan

      The candidate was not present.

    • Garin Ganis

      The candidate noted that he represents the Indonesian Association of ISPs. He spoke of his desire to contribute to policy and the development Internet technologies education.

    • Michael Green

      The candidate was not present.

    • Sanjay Khatri

      The candidate was not present.

    • Yan Ma

      The candidate presented his educational and professional experience. He also spoke of his experience in other international activities in the professional, academic, and ISP environments. He described his background in IP network operations and technologies and network security. He described his desire to contribute to the Chinese community and the region as a whole.

    • Hualin Qian

      The candidate spoke of his experience in the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the ICANN Board. He also spoke of the pace of development in the region and the need for good policies and understanding of the policies. He spoke of the problem of lack of understanding of IP address issues in the region, including misconceptions about the availability of addresses.

    • Jichen Thinley

      The candidate was not present, but a statement was made on his behalf, noting his experience as an active member of the South Asian Internet community. It was noted that there has so far been very little representation of South Asia on the EC.

    • Kuo Wei Wu

      The candidate presented a brief review of his educational and academic experience, including his experience in supercomputing. He noted that his career then began to evolve in the direction of policy development. He reviewed his background of serving in various committees and associations, including his two previous terms on the APNIC EC. He expressed his desire to continue serving the APNIC community.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

    [Break 12:30 – 2:05 pm]

    The Chair announced that the ballot box was now closed.

    SIG, BoF and other meeting reports

    The Chair described the role of the AMM in reviewing the reports and recommendations arising from the SIGs.

  19. Policy SIG report

  20. Kenny Huang, ASO AC

    The presenter reviewed the SIG agenda, and noted that the SIG had attracted 74 attendees in the first session and 82 in the second. He reviewed the consensus items and recommended actions arising from the SIG. There was one policy proposals in this SIG:

    (prop-027-v001) The second phase of large space IPv4 trial usage program for future IPv6 deployment

    This was a proposal to extend the duration of the existing large scale IPv4 trial usage program and impose certain additional conditions. The proposal reached consensus of the SIG and was now presented for the AMM to endorse the consensus at this meeting.

    The AMM Chair called for a show of hands on this proposal. He noted that consensus had been achieved in favour of endorsing the outcome of the Policy SIG on this matter.

    The presenter briefly described the other issues discussed at the SIG, including:

    • expanded address allocation for private Internets;
    • an update on 'Unique local IPv6 unicast addresses';
    • the IANA policy for allocation of IPv6 blocks to RIRs - status update;
    • status update on policy implementation;
    • update on the IPv4 guidelines working group;
    • ISP survey - project update; and
    • a survey of ISPs in Taiwan for applying HD ration to IPv4.

    The presenter announced that Takashi Arano had stood down from his position of Chair and that he, Kenny Huang, had been appointed as the new Chair of the Policy SIG. The Secretariat has been tasked to call for nominations for a new Co-chair of the SIG.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the SIG Chair. He then presented a gift and thanks to the outgoing SIG Chair, Takashi Arano, for his long service to the Policy SIG.

    Arano-san addressed the meeting, noting how much he had learned from the experience and expressing his hope to continue a close association with the community in a new capacity.

    Top

  21. IPv6 Technical SIG

  22. Tomohiro Fujisaki, NTT

    The SIG Chair provided a summary of the IPv6 SIG, noting that there had been good participation. He also noted that there were no action items arising from this SIG.

    The presentations were all informational, including:

    • Source address selection policy distribution for multihoming;
    • IPv6 allocation status report;
    • ASIX6 status report; and
    • Large space IPv4 trial usage program for future IPv6 deployment activities - summary.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.

    Top

  23. Database SIG

  24. Xing Li, CERNET

    The presenter reviewed the consensus items and recommended actions arising from the SIG.

    The presenter noted that the IPv6 IRR should be available by April 2005. He also noted that the item relating to IRR mirroring will be closed at the next meeting if there is no further discussion on the mailing list. The previous proposals relating to protection of historical records and privacy of customer assignments have both been fully implemented now.

    The presenter briefly described the other issues discussed at the SIG, including:

    • an update of the implementation of the proposal to protect the privacy of customer assignment records;
    • an update of the project to protect historical records in the APNIC Whois database;
    • an update of the project to develop an APNIC IPv6 IRR service; and
    • an update of RPSLng status and future whois/CRISP plans.

    There was one policy proposal in this SIG:

    (prop-026-v001) Proposal for APNIC to publish address assignment statistics

    It was reported that the Database SIG had reached consensus that APNIC should publish address assignment statistics.

    The AMM Chair called for a show of hands on this proposal. He noted that consensus had been achieved in favour of endorsing the outcome of the Database SIG on this matter.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.

    Top

  25. DNS operations SIG report

  26. Joao Damas, ISC

    The presenter conveyed the SIG Chair’s apology for being unable to attend this meeting. He briefly described the agenda and the review of the open action items.

    The presenter described the informational presentations, including:

    • deprecating ip6.int;
    • improving reverse DNS lookup performance;
    • a lame delegation status report;
    • BIND progress and F-root updates;
    • NS server monitoring;
    • DNSSEC status; and
    • ERX activities.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  27. NIR SIG report

  28. Izumi Okutani, JPNIC

    The SIG Chair reviewed the purpose of the NIR SIG. She then described the agenda of the SIG.

    The presentations were all informational, including:

    • Report from activities of NIR fee WG;
    • JPNIC update;
    • TWNIC OPM update and issues;
    • KRNIC update; and
    • CNNIC update.

    The review of the NIR fee structure arose because of concerns about inconsistency between NIR fees and regular members. There was a suggestion to abolish the per-address fee, but there will need to be a careful analysis of the impact on APNIC finances before this can be decided.

    The speaker also announced that Akinori Maemura had now stepped down from the role of Chair of this SIG. Izumi Okutani has now been appointed as the new Chair of the NIR SIG.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the SIG Chair. He then presented a gift and thanks to the outgoing SIG Chair, Akinori Maemura, for his long service to the NIR SIG.

    Maemura-san addressed the meeting, noting that he had been the Chair for a long time and looked forward to continuing his involvement with the APNIC community.

    Top

  29. Report on the NIR WG fee discussions

  30. Toshiyuki Hosaka, JPNIC

    The presenter reviewed the background to the reasons for wishing to revise the NIR fees and reported on the progress of the working group that was formed to review this issue. He described the discussions that have taken place on the mailing list to date and advised that the working group will make a formal proposal in time to be discussed during APNIC 20.

    Questions and discussion

    • The AMM Chair expressed the hope that not only NIRs, but all classes of members, will take part in discussion of the fee review.

    Top

  31. IX SIG

  32. Che-Hoo Cheng, InetX Asia

    The Co-chair of the SIG explained the SIG agenda and noted that the SIG was attended by about 55 people with active discussion. He also noted that the SIG has requested a bigger room for the next meeting.

    The SIG Chair described the informational presentations:

    • Bangladesh-BDIX update;
    • VNIX update;
    • JPNAP update;
    • JPIX update;
    • DIX-IE and NSP-IXP3 update;
    • A quality service research report of IX in Taiwan;
    • MPLS-IX and Inter-IX operation;
    • MAE-EXT interconnecting regional IXs together;
    • Update on Netnod Internet exchange;
    • Euro-IX update;
    • AMS-IX update; and
    • IX tour of the world.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.

    Top

  33. Routing SIG report

  34. Philip Smith, Cisco

    The presenter noted that for the first time the Routing SIG was extended over two sessions and was attended by about 90 people. He also encouraged everyone to get involved on the mailing list or to contact either himself or his Co-chair with ideas for future presentations. In particular, he encouraged presentations of operational routing experience.

    The informational reports were:

    • Global IP Network Mobility using BGP;
    • BGP security;
    • s-BGP overview;
    • Routeviews project update;
    • A look at BGP storms and Internet health during the big worm attacks;
    • Results of anycast stability experiment;
    • Routing table and BGP movie update;
    • Operational routing experience in NTT/OCN.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  35. APOPs

  36. Philip Smith, Cisco

    The presenter noted that this BoF had a disappointing agenda this time, so it was merged with the PGP key signing party. The main content for the meeting was a report of the recent SANOG 5 meeting held in Bangladesh. The presenter encouraged participation in future SANOGs. There will be attempts to improve participation in this event in the future.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.

    Top

  37. CRISP/EPP BoF

  38. George Michaelson, APNIC

    The presenter explained that the BoF, which had 16 participants, was very useful and discussed the implications of adopting the routing registry protocol and the adoption of the EPP extensions.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Top

  39. Report on the ASO AC

  40. Kenny Huang, ASO AC

    The presenter outlined the changes to the ASO and AC structure since the signing of the MoU with ICANN in late 2004. He named the current members of the ASO AC and noted that LACNIC is currently providing the Secretariat services. The time and date of the ASO General Assembly for 2005 have yet to be decided.

    The presenter explained the other activities of the ASO AC, including its role in policy development, selection of the ICANN Board of Directors, and progress on its work plan for 2005.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    The AMM Chair noted that meeting evaluation forms were currently being circulated. He also announced the winner of the prize draw from the policy development quiz.

    Top

    [Break 3:15 – 3:45 pm]

    There was a prize draw from those who handed in meeting evaluation forms.

  41. ICANN/NRO/WSIS update

  42. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    There was a review of the background issues in Internet governance discussions.

    The NRO was formed in October 2003 as an umbrella for joint RIR activities. Uruguay is currently being considered as the likely site for incorporation of the NRO. The NRO has now established a formal relationship with ICANN and other formal relationships may come in the future. The NRO EC is comprised of the CEOs of the RIRs. The NRO is committed to supporting the establishment of AfriNIC. The NRO has also responded to WGIG working papers and coordinated comments on the ICANN strategic plan. The presenter also discussed the new ASO MoU.

    The World Summit on the Information Society is one of a series of UN summits. Its scope covers all aspects of ICTs of many different types. A critical issue within the WSIS process is the concept of Internet governance and how the various aspects of the Internet are managed. It was noted that there are clear agendas among some of the WSIS participants that would create significant changes to the existing model of Internet administrative coordination. The outcomes of the first phase of WSIS were two documents, the "Declaration of Principles" and the "Plan of Action", both of which are quite general. The Declaration has only mention of Internet governance, but the Plan of Action called on the UN to set up a Working Group in Internet governance, that would define the term Internet governance and identify the related issues.

    The WGIG was established in November 2004. The LACNIC CEO is on the WGIG. The WGIG released first draft issue papers in February, but these have received significant criticism. There are closed WGIG meetings happening this week. In July the WGIG is to submit a report to the UN Secretary General.

    APNIC’s position is based on the concern for the continued stability of IP address distribution systems. APNIC seeks to dispel myths and misunderstandings relating to address policy processes and address distribution outcomes. APNIC recently published a paper dealing with the myth of IPv4 address shortages in China. It was noted that in fact more addresses are being allocated in China currently than in any other part of the world. APNIC has also published a series of other papers about the Internet governance issues and will soon publish a background paper on problems with geographic IP addressing schemes.

    APNIC has been participating in other Internet governance related activities. APNIC is providing active support to the UNDP-APDIP project to operate a portal on Internet governance.

    Some years ago, APNIC applied for accreditation by the UN ECOSOC. APNIC recently received that recognition of consultative status.

    The NRO’s position on WSIS is to continue to support ICANN and its path to genuine internationalisation. The NRO calls on the US government for a clear plan of independence for ICANN, especially bearing in mind the timing of the close of the WSIS process. The NRO also supports the involvement of the public sector in the context of the current models of management of administrative functions, such as the NIR model in the Asia Pacific region.

    The presenter noted that there is a possibility that the outcome of these current international processes could lead to significant change to the current environment of Internet addressing.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a comment about an ITU proposal that half of the IPv6 address space could be set aside for national governments to allocate in competition to the RIRs. It was noted that there have been a number of responses to that proposal, including an official response from the Japanese government, a technical paper by Geoff Huston, and a paper by Paul Wilson relating to geographic addressing. It was explained that there is a need to be careful about dismissing proposals out of hand, without seeking to deal with, and analyse, the possible misunderstandings that may be driving those proposals.
    • There was a discussion of some of the issues contained in the ITU proposal. There was a discussion about the application of competition principles to resources that must be able to work properly on the global Internet. It may be necessary for the addressing community to provide better explanations as to why principles of aggregation and provider-based addressing are important. It was suggested that there may be interests in the public sector that may not have sufficient trust in the security and confidentiality of RIR systems to handle sensitive deployments.

    Open microphone discussion

    • There were no further discussions.

    Top

  43. EC election result

  44. Ray Plzak noted that there was only one invalid ballot cast. However, there were many ballots where only one or two candidates were voted for. The four successful candidates were:

    • Hualin Qian, 1,084 votes
    • Ma Yan, 677 votes
    • Kou-Wei Wu, 609 votes
    • Moo-Ho Billy Cheon, 541 votes

    The Chair thanked the scrutineers and congratulated the successful candidates.

    Questions and discussion

    • None
  45. Next meeting

  46. The Chair announced that APNIC 20 will be hosted in Hanoi, Vietnam from 6-9 September 2005.

    Nguyen Manh Thuan of VNNIC thanked the EC and the APNIC staff members for their support and gave a presentation displaying Hanoi and some of the features that will be available for the meeting participants.

    Top

  47. Other business

  48. The Chair thanked all participants and congratulated all those involved in this successful APRICOT and APNIC Open Policy Meeting. He provided a breakdown of attendances by subregion and encouraged early registration at future meetings.

    The Chair then thanked the Silver sponsors of this AMM, CNNIC, TWNIC, and KRNIC of NIDA. He also thanked JPNIC as the Silver sponsor of the APNIC reception. The Chair presented certificates of participation to the sponsors.

    The Chair thanked the SIG chairs, the guest speakers, RIR colleagues, the steno-captioners, Scott McDonald and his E-Side team (to whom he presented a gift), and he thanked the APNIC EC and staff.

    Finally the Chair reviewed the dates of the next APNIC meetings and invited all to attend.

The Chair thanked the presenters.

Meeting closed: 5:00 pm

Minuted by: Gerard Ross

Top

Open action items

  • None.

Minutes | APNIC Member Meeting


Top of page
Programme | SIGs | Sponsorship | APNIC meetings | APRICOT 2005 | APNIC home
Last modified: Friday, 28-Apr-2006 14:46:29 EST | © 1999 - 2014 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement