[India] Cellular operators hear a rural beep

  • To: s-asia-it at apnic dot net
  • Subject: [India] Cellular operators hear a rural beep
  • From: "Irfan Khan" <KhanIA@super.net.pk>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:39:51 +0500
  • Sender: owner-s-asia-it@lists.apnic.net
    • Dec 21 2000

      Cellular operators hear a rural beep

      Vivek Law
      MUMBAI

      WHEN a village sarpanch wrote to one of India's cellular czars about
      how his village was grateful for being connected  this village had
      only one PCO and now there are 8 mobile phone PCOs  it was a wake up
      call for the cell phone industry.

      Operators across the country are seeing more than 50 per cent of all
      incremental growth in cellular business coming from small towns and
      rural areas.

      And we are not talking about the now legendary mobile-toting rich
      farmers atop tractors. The cellular has reached the man on the cycle,
      the fisherman and the village sarpanch in not so prosperous villages
      and towns.

      Marketing strategies are therefore being reworked, tariff plans are
      being redrawn and there is a sudden glint in the eyes of cellular
      industry chieftains. So much so, that some operators say they do not
      even need to explain in detail what a cellular phone is. The
      villagers know it. It's just that we did not, they say.

      "This just amazes me. From Gondia to Latur, everybody wants to be
      impacted by technology. We receive letters from village sarpanch's on
      how the mobile phone is being used effectively in villages where
      there was a single PCO which too often never worked," says Rajeev
      Chandrasekhar, chairman and chief executive officer of BPLs
      Innovision group.

      Some figures. "Out of 5,40,000 total subscribers, we now have close
      to 2,00,000 subscribers in small markets across Maharashtra, Kerala
      and Tamil Nadu. Out of 204 towns outside Mumbai that we are present
      in, 160 are small towns and villages," says Chandrasekhar.

      "The growth here is going to be far more, for unlike in the metros,
      the roll out in state circles has been far slower. It's only now that
      operators are rolling out networks across states. You can imagine the
      growth potential," he adds.

      Bharti's head of mobile operations across circles, Anil Nair has an
      interesting story to tell. "Look at even Delhi. We have seen
      carpenters and small time contractors on bicycles among our mobile
      users. There was this carpenter we were trying to hire and he gave us
      a cell number to get in touch with. More importantly, a small
      contractor sees value as he can call someone for more material from
      the site itself," says Nair.

      He has figures to show as well. In Himachal Pradesh, more than 50 per
      cent of the total 8,500 subscriber base is now from areas apart from
      the two main towns, Shimla and Kullu-Manali. "It's a hit in orchards.
      As it is easier to create more footprints by placing a base station
      on the top of a hill," he said.

      Connecting people. From country roads to city slickers, you bet.

      http://www.economictimes.com/today/21tech01.htm