[sig-dns] SIG Charter

  • To: sig-dns at apnic dot net
  • Subject: [sig-dns] SIG Charter
  • From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar dot biz>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:13:15 -0400
  • Cc: ed.lewis at neustar dot biz

      My question is, what needs to be done to make this SIG and it's list more useful? Is it the charter that is too restrictive? Is there a need to start topics (besides my trip reports)?

      I am curious about why folks are subscribed to the list. I would appreciate it, if you are willing, to post to the list or to me and/or Sam privately, what you expect from this list and why you are subscribed.

      Here is some background material to consider:

      The DNS SIG charter (http://www.apnic.net/sigs/dns/index.html) is:

      # The charter of the DNS operations SIG is to examine developments
      # in policies and procedures for reverse DNS operations in the Asia
      # Pacific region. It will include topics such as reverse delegations
      # for IPv6 networks, dynamic updates, secure DNS, current DNS
      # software versions, and legacy transfers from other databases.

      This mailing list is one of two resources for the SIG, the other are the in-person meetings.

      We met during APNIC 25, the previous meeting was APNIC 23. We have been able to have material to present at those sessions, but no discussion of APNIC policy.

      What has me concerned enough to launch this discussion (something I planned to do as chair and prior to Sam's becoming co-chair) is that there has been no use of the mailing list to discuss any of the issues in the charter or issues relating to other matters involving DNS.

      There are two mailing lists I know of, worldwide, that do discuss DNS operational matters. Neither are restricted to the reverse map of DNS. I present these to give examples of other DNS operations lists.

      The DNS Operations mailing list is operated by ISC/OARC and is identified by these URLS. I think subscriptions are not open to all, but it's been a while since I checked the policy.

      This list is fairly active, high volume when it is, but also quiet for weeks at time.

      There is a CENTR Tech list, which is private and not exclusively DNS related:

      The archives are only available to CENTR members. CENTR is the organization of European (chiefly) ccTLDs.

      The topics on the OARC list cover just about anything related to DNS, events that point to potential operational issues. The CENTR list will document unusual query patterns, such as recent scans for MX records. (They note that one TLD at a time will see it, so posting the activity on the mail list lets the ccTLD operators makes them aware that this is a problem for all, not just individual operators.)

      --
      NeuStar

      Never confuse activity with progress.  Activity pays more.