APNIC 17 home APNIC 17 home APNIC home

Minutes

SIG: NIR

Minutes

Thursday 26 February 2003, Palace of the Golden Horses Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Meeting commenced: 4:00 pm

Chair: Akinori Maemura

Co-chair: Chia-Nan Hsieh

Contents

  1. JPNIC Open Policy Meeting update
  2. TWNIC Open Policy Meeting update
  3. JPNIC update
  4. VNNIC-NIR operations and present status
  5. Experience at APNIC training
  6. NIR System BOF report

The Co-chair introduced the meeting and reminded the participants of the SIG charter and the mailing list. He then explained the agenda.

  1. JPNIC Open Policy Meeting update

  2. Izumi Okutani, JPNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presentation reviewed the discussions and developments from the JPNIC Open Policy Meeting held on 5 December 2003. The presenter explained how developments are reported back and forth between APNIC and JPNIC Open Policy Meetings, and also explained how the JPNIC policy development process works.

    At the recent JPNIC OPM there were seven presentations, including one proposal. There were discussions on issues such as privacy of customer assignment records (which was slightly different to the original APNIC proposal), lowering the minium allocation size, and replacing admin-c with the LIR's contact.

    There was no clear consensus on the privacy issue, which will be referred to the mailing list.

    There was support for lowering the minimum allocation, but there were concerns that CIDR requirements should still be ensured. Therefore, the JPNIC community decided there needed to be more investigation of how to implement a lower minium allocation.

    There was originally consensus for adopting the APNIC proposal regarding replacing assignment admin-c with the LIR's contact; however, subsequent comments on the mailing list have resulted in discussion and work on this proposal. Implementation of this proposal has been suspended.

    There were also discussions on AD ratio, lame delegation checks, and definition of the consensus process.

    The presenter noted that the meeting was too short at four hours. It was well attended and there was good participation.

    The presenter noted that there is a need for a better definition of consensus and firm timelines for discussion and implementation. There is also a need for better coordination with LIRs.

    JPNIC plans to hold a working group meeting in March.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a comment that the processes that are being developed in JPNIC's community are very useful. Creating opportunities for participants to speak out in a more comfortable forum will be of benefit to the community as a whole.
    • It was noted that one of the alternative suggestions to lowering the minimum allocation size was to maintain the same allocation size but simply lower the criteria. It was suggested that this could lead to wasted address space. It was agreed to take this concern back to the JPNIC community.
    • It was noted that under the NIR agreements, NIRs adopt APNIC policies but retain the scope for local policies. It was suggested that a working group be formed to develop a better understanding of the scope of local policy making.
    • It was clarified that in the JPNIC policy process, the Board is not directly involved in approving IP policy.
    • It was noted that taking APNIC proposals to the JPNIC OPM generates more discussion than simply posting translated proposals to the mailing lists.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  3. TWNIC Open Policy Meeting update

  4. David Chen, TWNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This presentation provided an overview of the first TWNIC Open Policy Meeting, which was held in December 2003. The meeting was held in conjunction with APNIC training, and was well attended. The presenter summarised the content of the meeting, which included keynote speeches, SIG meetings, and status reports.

    The presenter outlined the process for developing SIG proposals and briefly summarised the outcome of the various proposals. There are SIGs for Address policy, Routing, and Database.

    From this meeting, two proposals arose that were referred to the APNIC OPM. The first was a proposal to modify the criteria for subsequent allocations to cable/DSL networks. The second related to whois DB query.

    In the future, TWNIC will allocate more time for the meeting. TWNIC will also plan to hold two meetings per year, before APNIC meetings. TWNIC will encourage more LIRs to attend and take steps to encourage more discussion on mailing lists.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a clarification of how policies are implemented.
    • It was noted that discussion within the OPM was very strong - much better than on the mailing lists.
    • It was noted that it was very good that policy proposals were being received from the TWNIC community. TWNIC provided encouragement to community members to make proposals. The SIG Chairs and Co-chairs were also active in encouraging participation.

    Top

  5. JPNIC update

  6. Toshiyuki Hosaka, JPNIC

    Presentation [pdf]

    This presentation summarised JPNIC's activities in 2003 and its activity plan for 2004. The presenter gave details of meeting and communication work, service improvements, and policy developments.

    JPNIC currently has two expert teams working on address policy - an IRR team and an IPv6 policy team.

    JPNIC will send another hostmaster to APNIC for 2 weeks in 2004.

    JPNIC recently held a discussion on Internet governance, in the context of the WSIS and ICANN developments.

    JPNIC will embark on a fee structure reform in 2004. The current system places too much dependency on registration fees. The restructure will abandon the registration fee, introduce a one-time per-address allocation fee, and review the level of the maintenance fee.

    JPNIC has been using its internal system for 10 years and believes it is time for a radical renewal.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question about why JPNIC has not implemented the small multihoming policy. It was noted that some members of the JPNIC community have opposed this policy due to concerns about aggregation. There has also been very little demand from the Japanese market for this service.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  7. VNNIC-NIR operations and present status

  8. Nguyen Thi Thu Thuy, VNNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This presentation provided an overview of VNNIC's operations and current status. The presenter noted that VNNIC currently has seven full members and eight association members. It was noted that many multihomed networks now need portable assignments.

    VNNIC has two hostmasters in Hanoi and one officer in Ho Chi Minh City.

    VNNIC will introduce a new fee structure in 2004. This will be a tiered structure, and will include a startup fee and annual renewal fees.

    VNNIC set up VNIX in 2003 in Hanoi. The next phase of this development will extend VNIX to Ho Chi Minh City.

    VNNIC is currently preparing a report on introducing IPv6 in Vietnam.

    VNNIC will hold its first Open Member Meeting in 2004.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  9. Experience at APNIC training

  10. Dong-Wook Shim, KRNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter described his recent experience of training at APNIC in early 2004. He described the details of the training program. He also discussed recommendations for NIRs making requests to APNIC which may help lead to more efficient resolution of tickets.

    The presenter noted that APNIC distributes its work load well and shows good cooperation and communication between the departments. He also noted that APNIC has a well organised hostmaster manual and internal web site.

    The presenter recommended scheduling the training periods carefully to avoid the busy season.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  11. NIR System BOF report

  12. Shin Yamasaki, JPNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    This presentation summarised the discussions held during the NIR System BOF, including future solutions for automated DNS registration procedures and the NIR data exchange project. The presenter noted that for the next meeting the agenda needs to be set further in advance.

    Questions and discussion

    • None

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

Meeting closed: 5:45 pm

Minuted by: Gerard Ross

Minutes


 
Top of page

Programme | HM consultation | EC election | Social event | Sponsorship | Past meetings | APRICOT 2004 | APNIC 17 home | APNIC home

Last modified: Friday, 28-Apr-2006 14:46:18 EST | © 1999 - 2021 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement