Minutes

Database SIG

Thursday 2 September 2004, Sheraton Nadi Resort, Nadi, Fiji

Meeting commenced: 11:10 am

Chair: Xing Li

The Chair introduced the session and explained the agenda.

Review of previous open action items

Presentation [pdf | ppt]

  • db-16-002: Secretariat to implement the proposal to prevent customer records in the APNIC Whois Database being publicly available.
    - Update: Open. To be implemented by the third quarter 2004.

  • db-17-001: Pending approval at each remaining stage of the policy proposal process, APNIC Secretariat to implement the proposal to protect historical records with an APNIC maintainer (prop-018-v001).
    - Update: Open. To be implemented by 14 December 2004.

  • db-17-002: Proposal for IRR mirroring policy (prop-003-v002) to be returned to the Database mailing list for further discussion.
    - Update: Open. The proposer has been contacted and has advised that they are going to conduct some experiments and resubmit the proposal after evaluating the results.

Contents

  1. Proposal on IPv6 IRR service at APNIC
  2. Privacy of customer assignment records - project update
  3. Protecting historical records in the APNIC Whois Database - project update
  4. Modification of Whois domain object authorisation
  5. RIPE database software update
  1. Proposal on IPv6 IRR service at APNIC

  2. Katsuyasu Toyama, NTT

    Presentation [pdf]

    This presentation noted that IPv6 is being allocated widely but is still not widely used. He reviewed routing statistics relating to current IPv6 use. He noted that 84 percent of prefixes are currently being 'correctly' advertised and that currently, unlike IPv4, the IPv6 space appears to be very clean. However, he suggested that wider deployment may change this situation. Therefore, the presenter proposed that APNIC establish a trusted IPv6 IRR that would be also be promoted to other RIRs, to contribute to the stable routing of the IPv6 network.

    The presentation contained a discussion of a possible architecture for the services, but recommended that this should be decided by further discussions in the community.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was clarified that proposal considers that the IPv6 IRR service could be deployed as an extension of the existing IPv4 IRR, provided that the mechanisms for trust are sufficient to meet the aims of this proposal.
    • The presenter sought feedback from the community on the need for an IPv6 IRR.
    • The Chair asked for a show of hands on this proposal. There was a show of hands in favour, with no objections. The Chair noted consensus that the community accepts the concept but that the details need to be discussed on the mailing list.
    • The Chair noted that, unfortunately, the mailing list is very quiet.
    • It was noted that APNIC expects to have a version of the RIPE software that would support this activity by the end of 2004. It was suggested that this would fit the proposed timeline.
    • There was a request to include Larry Blunt from MERIT in the discussions, as he may be able to help with the authentication requirements.

    Action items

    • db-18-001: Proposal for establishment of an IPv6 IRR to be referred to the mailing list for detailed discussion of the framework and implementation.

    Top

  3. Privacy of customer assignment records - project update

  4. Sanjaya, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presentation reviewed the progress of the project to implement privacy of customer assignments in the APNIC Whois Database. The presenter reviewed the background to the original proposal and noted that some technical issues had delayed the implementation. When systems are ready, all portable allocations and assignments will remain publicly visible, but all non-portable resources will be made invisible by default. Responsible custodians will then be able to choose whether to make the customer assignments visible again.

    The presenter noted that the work to implement this proposal is expected to be completed by 30 September. He outlined the migration schedule. He then provided a demonstration of the tools in MyAPNIC that will be available to account holders to manage the privacy of their customer assignments.

    The presenter noted that once the migration has happened, emails to auto-dbm will not be able to update private records. However, this functionality should be available in 2005 following APNIC's introduction of a new registry system.

    The presenter also noted that APNIC will perform a clean up of related objects that become affected.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question about creating person or role objects. It was noted that when initially registering an inetnum it will be necessary to register the person or role object; however it can be subsequently deleted.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  5. Protecting historical records in the APNIC Whois Database - project update

  6. Sanjaya, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presentation reviewed the progress of the project to introduce protection of historical address space records. It was noted that unprotected historical registrations are subject to being used for abusive purposes. APNIC will apply the APNIC-HM maintainer to all unprotected historical inetnum and aut-num records. Custodians will still be able to use the resources. Those who wish to have their own maintainer (mnt-lower) applied to the resources will be required to verify their right to custodianship and open an account with APNIC, with an annual fee of $100 per year.

    The presenter outlined the technical and administrative steps that are required to complete implementation. Systems are expected to be completed by the end of October. Full implementation is expected by early December 2004 and will be reported on in APNIC 19.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question about those who hold space that they need to route. When sBGP is deployed, these people will require certificates to be registered. There was a discussion about how the administration of this would be handled. It was explained that when LIRs register their customers in the database, APNIC does not charge for those customer registrations. There was a suggestion that there may be some anomalous cases that will need more consideration.
    • There was a question about the fee to be applied. It was noted that the $100 fee is annual, as was discussed in the original proposal.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  7. Modification of Whois domain object authorisation

  8. Elly Tawhai, APNIC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter discussed a current procedural problem for non-users of MyAPNIC submitting domain objects to whois. The hierarchical nature of authorisation can cause automatic submissions of domain objects to fail. Currently, such objects have to be manually created by APNIC hostmasters, which causes some delay. The presentation contains details of the procedural solutions for this problem. This new procedures are intended to be implemented by the end of 2004.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  9. RIPE database software update

  10. Laura Cobley, RIPE NCC

    Presentation [pdf | ppt]

    The presenter reviewed the most recent changes to the RIPE Whois software. The most recent changes are not yet available for download, but will be soon.

    Support for X.509 has been added to improve security features.

    The organisation object has been introduced to help track organisations which hold resources.

    Reverse DNS procedures have been completely overhauled. Domain and DNS records are no longer maintained separately and X.509 support has been added. Domain objects are now the sole source.

    NONE authentication has been deprecated and there are now no unprotected objects in the database.

    Other changes include use of CIDR notation to create inetnums; prefix range lists for mnt-routes; and overlapping inetnum objects are now longer able to be created.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Action items

    • None.

Meeting closed: 12:55 pm

Minuted by: Gerard Ross

Top

Open action items

  • db-16-002: Secretariat to implement the proposal to prevent customer records in the APNIC Whois Database being publicly available.
    - Update: Open. To be implemented by the third quarter 2004.

  • db-17-001: Pending approval at each remaining stage of the policy proposal process, APNIC Secretariat to implement the proposal to protect historical records with an APNIC maintainer (prop-018-v001).
    - Update: Open. To be implemented by 14 December 2004.

  • db-17-002: Proposal for IRR mirroring policy (prop-003-v002) to be returned to the Database mailing list for further discussion.
    - Update: Open. The proposer has been contacted and has advised that they are going to conduct some experiments and resubmit the proposal after evaluating the results.

  • db-18-001: Proposal for establishment of an IPv6 IRR to be referred to the mailing list for detailed discussion of the framework and implementation.

Minutes | Database SIG


Top of page
Programme | SIGs | HM consultation | Social events | Sponsorship | APNIC meetings | APNIC 18 home | APNIC home
Last modified: Monday, 14-Mar-2016 10:52:32 EST | © 1999 - 2021 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement