Minutes

SIG: IX

Thursday 8 September 2005, Melia Hanoi Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam

Meeting commenced: 2:00 pm

Chair: Philip Smith

Co-chair: Che-Hoo Cheng

The Chair introduced the SIG, thanked the sponsor, and explained the agenda.

Contents

  1. Open action items
  2. JPNAP update
  3. NPIX update
  4. BDIX update
  5. VNIX update
  6. General questions and discussion
  7. Euro6ix update
  1. Open action items

    • None.

    Top

  2. JPNAP update

  3. Nobuhisa Miyake, JPNAP

    Presentation [pdf]

    This presentation was an update on the operation of the JPNAP IX, located in Tokyo and Osaka. The speaker began with a look at traffic trends in Japan, derived from a survey of seven major ISPs and IXPs. This data indicated steady growth, with an increase of nearly 100% over the past year.

    The speaker discussed the four major IXes in Japan, Dix-ie, JPIX, JPNAP, and BBIX, and their different characteristics and customer numbers.

    The speaker noted that the aggregate traffic of both JPNAP sites is up to 77Gb, and that traffic has grown by between 1.5-2 times over the past year.

    There was an overview of recent issues related to JPNAP, including the need for an increased number of 10GbE port connections, the use of Link Aggregation (LAG) connections to GbE ports, the recent deployment of optical switch units, the launch of a PeerWatcher service, and the launch of IPv4/IPv6 dual stack services at both the Osaka and Tokyo sites.

    The speaker went on to explain the operation of optical switch units, which automatically detect failures and switch to backup systems with approximately 10Ms. He also explained that PeerWatcher allows customers to visualise their peer-to-peer traffic volume.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question regarding the graph display produced by the PeerWatcher service. The speaker clarified that each colour referred to an AS.
    • There was a question as to whether JPNAP was measuring IPv4 and IPv6 traffic separately, and whether they had any data on this. The speaker reported that JPNAP did not.
    • There was a question as to whether JPNAP used two separate vLANs for IPv4 and IPv6. The speaker noted that at this point they did not, but that they hoped to in future.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  4. NPIX update

  5. Gaurab Raj Upadhaya, Lahai

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The speaker noted that this was the fourth APNIC meeting at which he had delivered an update on the operation of NPIX. After quickly covering the IX's history, he noted that as of recently they had four participants running fibre into the IX, and noted several significant new members.

    The speaker also noted that there was now a Looking Glass in operation, and that an anycast mirror of the I-root will be installed at NPIX within the next month. He also noted that NPIX had initiated a project to create archives of their routing tables.

    He noted that there was approximately 10Mb of local traffic, and that this was a significant percentage of the total local traffic. He also discussed a few sites that have contributed to the recent increase in local traffic, and noted that all Nepalese ISPs have had increases in traffic of at least 100% over the past year, with some up by as much as 600%.

    He noted that there was an aggregate of slightly more than /17 being routed, with one /25 not being routed internationally. He also noted that work had begun on setting up a netflow collector at NPIX.

    The speaker reported that two General Meetings had been held, one in January and the other in July, and that there had been good participation from all members. He also reported that the NPIX network management server was to be multihomed, and that targets for the next six moths include migrating to MRTG, creating an archive of the routing table status, and conducting a workshop with IPv6 options.

    He noted that a backup site is currently under discussion, that a mailing list had been set up, and that NepCERT had been established to provide support. He also noted that NPIX had started to charge 5000 rupees per month, or approximately US$70.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question as to whether the two switches were connected. The speaker noted that they are not, and that NPIX have no plans to connect them.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  6. BDIX update

  7. Gaurab Raj Upadhaya, Lahai

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation discussed the operation of the Bangladesh IX, BDIX. The speaker noted that a number of organisations hoped to join the BDIX in the near future.

    He noted that the BDIX Peering Policy had been drafted, that two router servers had been deployed, and that a Looking Glass was now operational.

    He also reported that all the ISPs in Bangladesh are now peering with each other. He noted that traffic volume had not grown as expected because most content is still located abroad and, that at this point, most of the traffic was email.

    He noted that at this point there were no plans to move to IPv6, as BDIX was still a very young IX.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  8. VNIX update

  9. Tran Kien, VNNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation gave an overview of the Vietnam National Internet Exchange, VNIX. The speaker noted that there are two VNIX points, located in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, and examined some of the reasons behind the establishment of VNIX.

    The speaker reported that at this point there are 6 ISP members connected to VNIX, and that the transmission infrastructure is all optical fibre. He also discussed the physical and technical specifications of the IX as well as VNIX policies.

    The speaker discussed future plans, including the establishment of monitoring tools, and to connect international ISPs to VNIX, as well as supporting IPv6 and multicast. He noted that many well-known Vietnamese websites have recently moved to local service providers. He directed attendees to the VNIX website, but noted that at this point it is only available in Vietnamese language.

    Questions and discussion

    • There was a question regarding VNIX policies, specifically the support of backdoor connections for backup.

    Action items

    • None.

    Top

  10. General questions and discussion

    • There was a question regarding the experience of SIG attendees regarding IPv6 assignments at Exchange Points.
    • The questioner noted that Exchange Points should assign no less than a /64, but suggested that a fixed /128 would perhaps be more suitable.
    • The JPNAP speaker noted that with a /48, JPNAP would assign /64 for their Tokyo site and /64 for the Osaka site. He noted, however, that JPNAP did not currently provide serious support for IPv6.
    • The Chair noted that the policy seemed to make sense in terms of assigning a /64.
    • The questioner noted that there was no IX IPv6 assignment policy in APNIC.

    Top

  11. Euro6ix update

  12. Jordi Palet

    Presentation [pdf]

    This presentation gave an update on the activities of Euro6ix, a project created to deploy IX exchanges supporting IPv6 to as many countries as possible. The speaker noted that the project involved adding value to these upgrades, including setting up transition services.

    The speaker noted that there are pros and cons from both business and technical points of view.

    The project concluded in June 2005, and the final documents regarding the project are still being completed. The speaker noted, however, that there were a number of documents already available on the Euro6ix website (www.euro6ix.org) which attendees might find useful. He also noted that there were a number of tools that people may find useful in moving to IPv6.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Action items

    • None.

Meeting closed: 3:05 pm

Minuted by: Chris Buckridge

Open action items

  • None.

Minutes | IX SIG

Top

Last modified: Monday, 14-Mar-2016 10:54:15 EST | © 1999 - 2021 APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement